The "Wharfe" Restoration

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Scott
Eel

Re: The "Wharfe" Restoration

Post by Scott » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 am

Just had another read of your post and I'd have thought a 4wt line would be too light, of course I could be wrong but I'd be interested to know how you get on. I have a rather floppy Foster's of Ashbourne 9' which takes a 6wt. All my shorter, thinner river rods are 5wt and the only 4wt is my 6'9" Zhu which is like a whisker.

Anyway let us know how you get on.

As for the grayling, they continue to evade me, I had a blank, bitterly cold day on the Clyde...

Jeremy Croxall
Chub

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Scott wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 am
Just had another read of your post and I'd have thought a 4wt line would be too light, of course I could be wrong but I'd be interested to know how you get on. I have a rather floppy Foster's of Ashbourne 9' which takes a 6wt. All my shorter, thinner river rods are 5wt and the only 4wt is my 6'9" Zhu which is like a whisker.

As for the grayling, they continue to evade me, I had a blank, bitterly cold day on the Clyde...
You may well be right Scott, I too have a Fosters 9ft Champion which I have used with a 6wt, the Wharfe seems very much lighter though but will try it with a 5wt tomorrow and see how it performs.

Jeremy Croxall
Chub

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Scott wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 am

You're quite right Scott, I have tried the rod with a 5 wt and it certainly didn't feel over powered, it may even be ok with a 6wt short casting?
I will have to experiment a bit! Thanks for your comments, very helpful. :Hat:

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”