The "Wharfe" Restoration

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

The "Wharfe" Restoration

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi chaps, here's some before/after pics of the Wharfe following restoration:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I was very impressed with the qulity of the cane, very straight and once the old varnish was removed it appeared very even in texture and silky smooth. The handle needed repairing both ends and a new reel holder fitted as the old one had split. Replacement old style snake rings were fitted in preference to the original bridge rings, these were generously gifted by Wal (thank you so much Wal) and dark peony silk tiped black for the whippings. I managed to clean up the original butt and tip rings together with the rubber button. There was a little bit of delamination in the bottom end of the tip section which necessitated removal of the ferrule, opening up the joints and re glueing with cascamite.
The rod seems nicely balanced with my new (old) Marquis reel and feels nice when waggled, it will be interesting to see how it casts a line. I reckon a 4 wt will be about right as the tip is quite fine, I may try it with a silk line which I have although its a little short, about eleven yards but I tend not to cast far on the river so it may be ok?
Thanks for looking and hope you like the pics!

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Re: The "Wharfe" Restoration

Post by Shed_Monkey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:09 pm

Fantastic work Jeremy - it's great to see you getting so stuck in :Ok:

Remember to show us when you christen it :Thumb:

Wallys-Cast
Zander

Post by Wallys-Cast » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Excellent job Jeremy, well done. The whipping colour looks lovely too, is that sealed or varnished straight over.

Wal.

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Wallys-Cast wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:20 pm
Excellent job Jeremy, well done. The whipping colour looks lovely too, is that sealed or varnished straight over.

Wal.
Thanks Wal, the whippings were sealed with 50/50 water/varnish (Wilco's quick drying water based polyurethane) which is the only way I've managed to preserve the colour on Pipers silk. It has the advantage that its touch dry in 10 mins and re-coatable in 2 hrs. I used the same varnish for the rod as I don't have a rod turner so I can sit and turn the section by hand for ten mins whilst it goes off! If anything its a little too glossy so in a week or so I may give it a gentle rub with oooo grade wire wool and beeswax followed by a buff with a soft cloth to reduce the gloss?
Last edited by Jeremy Croxall on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wallys-Cast
Zander

Post by Wallys-Cast » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Jeremy Croxall wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote:

Wal.
Thanks Wal, the whippings were sealed with 50/50 water/varnish (Wilos quick drying waterbased polyurethane) which is the only way I've managed to preserve the colour on Pipers silk. It has the advantage that its touch dry in 10 mins and re-coatable in 2 hrs. I used the same varnish for the rod as I don't have a rod turner so I can sit and turn the section by hand for ten mins whilst it goes off! If anything its a little too glossy so in a week or so I may give it a gentle rub with oooo grade wire wool and beeswax followed by a buff with a soft cloth to reduce the gloss?
Thanks Jeremy, I'll give that a try.

Wal.

SeanM
Eel

Post by SeanM » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Jeremy Croxall wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote:

Wal.
Thanks Wal, the whippings were sealed with 50/50 water/varnish (Wilco's quick drying water based polyurethane) which is the only way I've managed to preserve the colour on Pipers silk. It has the advantage that its touch dry in 10 mins and re-coatable in 2 hrs. I used the same varnish for the rod as I don't have a rod turner so I can sit and turn the section by hand for ten mins whilst it goes off! If anything its a little too glossy so in a week or so I may give it a gentle rub with oooo grade wire wool and beeswax followed by a buff with a soft cloth to reduce the gloss?
Ah. I wish I'd known that earlier (November!) as I've been having real trouble with a pale thread on a rod I've just completed. A full account of the battle over the next day or so!

Nice work Jeremy.
Quot homines, tot sententiae. (And now we are 6!)

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Cracking job Jeremy! Now for your next photo let's see a nice 2lb grayling lay along side it! :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 pm

Scott wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:00 pm
Cracking job Jeremy! Now for your next photo let's see a nice 2lb grayling lay along side it! :Hat:
Send me a grayling Scott and I'll take the photo! :Chuckle:

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 pm

I like how you worked out the reel seat ,turned out good .excellent work
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:47 am

Chavender wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 pm
I like how you worked out the reel seat ,turned out good .excellent work
Thanks, although not all down to me......I had a lot of helpful suggestions!
Last edited by Jeremy Croxall on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”