Rod Whipping Jig Mk 2

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
JW1
Roach

Rod Whipping Jig Mk 2

Post by JW1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:44 pm

I now have a bit of a backlog of rods to refurbish and the first one (the floatmaster) has well over 100 whippings. I should really start with the Milbro kindly donated by another member, but I use it all the time and is being reserved for the close season. The old Mk 1 just relied on gravity to tension the thread held on bobbin holders which I found a bit fiddly so decided to upgrade it to have a sliding saddle and tensioned bobbin holders, just like the professional ones, well close enough.
Initially when the bobbins turned they caused the tension nut to turn and tighten the tension, so a little cribbing and springs appeared to be the answer.
They were a bit tricky to make but seem to be doing the job. I would like to get hold of 4 M6 Nyloc wing nuts but they are proving elusive as I don't need 100.
The carriage has a tension screw to stop it riding up when pulling a tight thread as I don't have the ability to add groves and rebates (yet).
Overall its looking promising, just waiting for the new Jasper to arrive to test it properly.

JW

Duebel
Arctic Char

Re: Rod Whipping Jig Mk 2

Post by Duebel » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Looks good, JW! Well done!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”