Old cane pike rods ?

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Dusty
Stickleback

Old cane pike rods ?

Post by Dusty » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi Everyone , my nephew James has just been given these vintage rods by his father in law , the rod with Sportex written on it has a split in the whole cane butt section just above the handle , he is thinking of restoring this rod and using it as a display piece with a suitable period reel attached to it ( reel to be sought at a later date ) the Sportex is approx 7ft in lengthis of whole cane construction ,and has Esox written on it - what reel would have been used on a rod of this age ?
The second rod has the logo - Weirside - on it , also a 7ft ( pike rod ? ) he plans to restore this rod, and use it - subject to any cracks or problems with it, the butt is whole cane and the top section is split cane , ferrules are good and `pop` when pulled apart, again what sort of era is this from ? and what type of reel would have been used with it ?

Does anyone know these makers ? all help gratefully received , thanks everyone....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Time spent watching the tip of a float is time spent learning ...

Burnie
Dace

Re: Old cane pike rods ?

Post by Burnie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm

I believe Sportex were a Sheffield based company, I had a glass fibre pier rod of there's back in the 1970's. Not familiar with the other rod

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”