Drilling and tapping planing form.

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Steve B
Ruffe

Drilling and tapping planing form.

Post by Steve B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Evening all,

I am in the process of constructing a planing form, but need some help drilling and tapping the adjustment holes and dowels.

Does anyone know of an individual or engineering firm that would be able to carry out the job in or around the herts, beds or bucks area?

Cheers

Steve B

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Drilling and tapping planing form.

Post by Match Aerial » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:31 am

Many years ago I got some made at an engineering firm . I just took the garrison book in the office and asked explaining what I required.
Any small good shop should be able.

Lovatt
Rudd

Post by Lovatt » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi have a sniff around fenny stratford Bletchley. Excuse my rudeness, there is a metal fabricators in Fenny stratford Bletchley called - Charles Heads 01908 372250 or MK Metals 01296 713631 they are based at ridge hill farm along Little Horward Road Nash they will point you in the right direction. It would be interesting to know how you made your planing form and if you have got time and think you could do it yourself I have got the tools for the job and would interested in helping you with your project pm me if you want help with drilling and tapping your form

Trevor

Middle Bucks near Bletchley
Last edited by Lovatt on Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve B
Ruffe

Post by Steve B » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for info and offer of help, things have had a bit of a u turn and turned upside down since so it has been put on ice for a while.

Thanks again for you very kind offer

Steve B

Lovatt
Rudd

Post by Lovatt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:56 am

Hi Steve, any time in the future. I made a metal planing form many years ago not perfect but functional, I also sold it many years ago. Been thinking of making another one but this time I'll pop down to a CNC machine shop Dowding Precission unit G Lyon Road Denbigh west bletchley and have them machine the taper in the form for me, I believe I would save some costs that way as I have got tools to drill the holes and tap them and just get them to do the other bits, have to price it up sometime, if it goes any further than a thought I'll let you all know.

Trevor

Lovatt
Rudd

Post by Lovatt » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi everyone, since I started this project the planing form is nearly finished, it has taken time as I have had a lot of other things to do, I guess I made this in my spare time not a lot to do now. It only needs two surfaces machined flat and the groove cut, I do not have a milling machine and I have been quoted £70.00 so that can wait till after Christmas. I think I will probably make my first rod with it in the new year - 2019. This is what I have done, it is not as easy as you think, for those of you who would like a peek here you are. Initially I plan to cut an Imperial 1/16" to 1/32" 60 degree V groove in the planing form I think it will be able to make pretty much any straight taper that I want to make.

Regards Lovatt
09 Part one of planing form build completed.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bobby Marlene
Chub

Post by Bobby Marlene » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:08 am

Very nice! If you plan to make fly rods be careful with the minimum groove size. Some 4 weight rods require a tip dimension of less than .06 inch. With 1/32 you would be limited there. Good luck with your build. Bobby

Lovatt
Rudd

Post by Lovatt » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Bobby,

Thank's for the information, I plan to make a float fishing rod for myself and my brother wants a carp fishing rod, there are some spare and new tips to be made, that will be enough before I start. I probably won't make fly rods as I have several, who knows early days yet. The planing form I have made is 52" long I can see myself draw filing this one rather than having it machined flat save a bit of money, lets say it is a working mock up. The next one will be 76" long I will probably have that machined flat. and then have first plane roughing second plane finishing. I'll add to this post as I progress so for now Happy Christmas and I'll add some more to this in the new year.

Lovatt

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:10 pm

You have done well there mate.
I have made wooden ones and also a set of aluminium ones. It takes time to get them accurate.
For the time it takes I would just get them machined then you can concentrate on the nicest task of rod making. Good luck on your new adventure. Gary

Stalker58
Stickleback

Post by Stalker58 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:51 pm

Lovatt wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi Bobby,

Thank's for the information, I plan to make a float fishing rod for myself and my brother wants a carp fishing rod, there are some spare and new tips to be made, that will be enough before I start. I probably won't make fly rods as I have several, who knows early days yet. The planing form I have made is 52" long I can see myself draw filing this one rather than having it machined flat save a bit of money, lets say it is a working mock up. The next one will be 76" long I will probably have that machined flat. and then have first plane roughing second plane finishing. I'll add to this post as I progress so for now Happy Christmas and I'll add some more to this in the new year.

Lovatt
Hi Lovatt,

You have done a nice job there, I draw filed the one i made,went through a couple of pairs of gloves doing it. i asked my mate who is an engineer and he said skimming the forms could warp it,so by hand it had to be,i also cut the groove by hand slow but worked just fine, butt side 140 to 80 thou,tip 80
to 20 thou. I have made a couple of fly rods and now working on a mk iv avon Chapmans tapers

Wayne

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”