Planing forms?

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
SAFisherman
Minnow

Planing forms?

Post by SAFisherman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:19 am

Hi gents I hope you can offer some advice. I'm looking at making my own planing forms and would like to know what dimensions to make the forms themselves as well as the taper and the depth of the groove for putting the strips in. Many thanks. SAFisherman.

Bobby Marlene
Crucian Carp

Re: Planing forms?

Post by Bobby Marlene » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:49 am

SAF, it depends a bit on what type of rods you want to make.
This is a good resource:
http://www.thomaspenrose.com/
Success, Bobby

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 am

The Thomas Penrose instructions are a great starting point but the shoulder bolts are an unnecessary complication - my advice would be to use the Penrose layout but follow the Lawrence Waldron construction and hardware advice.
http://www.thomaspenrose.com/form07.htm

The method given in the Thomas Penrose pages for cutting the groove does work but is quite labour intensive and prone to a greater degree of error than the method given by Don Schneider here
http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/Articles ... Forms.html
Having made forms using both methods, I would strongly advise taking the time to make a file plane as it makes cutting the groove a lot easier and introduces less error as there are less adjustments.

Don't worry about getting hold the exact steel type listed if you can't get it - you can use hot rolled steel just as effectively, you will just need to spend longer removing mill scale before you can begin the job. I have a set of forms that I made using aluminium and I have also read of people using brass, plastic and wood.

If you are going to be doing any amount of draw filing the best tip I can offer is to use chalk frequently to prevent clogging and pinning.

Good luck
Cheers
Steve

Crucian
Arctic Char

Post by Crucian » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:30 am

Hi SAF, I have cleaned and measured my form for you.

60" long.
Bars 3/4 x 1 1/4".
Dowels 1/4" at 5" centres.
Bolts 1/4" cap screws, 5/8" either side of dowels, one pushing, one pulling.

Depth of groove.
Tip side .025 - .085"
Butt side .060" - .120"
Groove tapers .001 per 1"

I make coarse rods, and the form works well for me.

The Penrose instruction that Bobby has kindly given a link to, are very good. My form is very similar, but doesn't use the shouldered bolts, just plain cap screws, which work very well and would simplify construction.

The holes for the dowels must be at 90 degrees to the bars, this is very important. Even a little bit off and the working faces of the form go out of alignment when it is opened or closed.

I think if I was starting from scratch, I would set out the taper using engineers blue, or marker pen on the inside faces, then using a straight edge and scriber, set out the depth of groove/taper. having done this, remove some of the waste using a large flat file, being very careful not remove too much. I think this would save hours of filing with a three square/triangular file glued to a block. Just a thought...

Hope the above is of some help.
Good luck with your endeavours and please let us know how you get on.

Pm sent.

SAFisherman
Minnow

Post by SAFisherman » Sat May 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Thanks guys this will help me a lot.

Northern_Nomad
Chub

Post by Northern_Nomad » Sat May 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Mine are slightly different.

They are 7’3” long ( makes 1 piece light fly rods possible)

Bars are 1” x 3/4 and stations are 5”

Construction is cold rolled steel and full threaded bolts are used throughout. I can’t get to them easily at the moment to measure the exact groove depth but they are similar to Crucian’s.

One thing to bear in mind when looking at forms and indeed cane rod building in general is that most of the rod builders out there on t’interweb are American, producing fly rods, so a lot of the information relates specifically to this. The small amount of pro or amature British builders do not seem to have the same web presence, so some of the instructions or tips for producing fine tipped fly rods which are designed for casting a weighted fly line doesn’t always equate to a 3 piece float rod or a 2 piece carp rod.

It is also often said that ask 10 rod builders how they do it and you will get 10 different answers :hairpull:

My forms:

"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

SAFisherman
Minnow

Post by SAFisherman » Tue May 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks.

SAFisherman
Minnow

Post by SAFisherman » Tue May 22, 2018 7:45 pm

As I'm starting out with rod building is building a whole cane rod like a tenkara rod a better bet? Or is there not much difference difficulty wise? Sorry if this is a dumb question but when it comes to rod building I know very little. I'm still very keen to learn how to make split cane rods. Just very keen to learn all I can about the fascinating art of building traditional rods.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”