A weird event with a Cane rod!

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Tonytoned
Grayling
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

A weird event with a Cane rod!

Post by Tonytoned » Sat May 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Hello Everyone

They say you live and learn. Had a bit of a weird event at the boot sale today, think I should have kept my mouth shut methinks and things might have been different.
Anyway saw this Split cane fishing rod, no makers name but a lovely looking handle but what I was really after was the rings which I would cannibilsed it for, the rod was in a bit of state but repairable, I asked the seller if he could remove the gaffer tape holding the 3 sections together for me to have a look at it, which he did, I then inspected it and saw the laminations and set in the mid section, then noticed the lamination in the tip which I proceeded to point out to him, he said "thats why its a fiver mate!" anyway I walked away and thought about it. on returning later I ask would he take £4 for it, he said "yes"! I thought result! he then proceeded to tell me he had "fixed the tip" I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it, he had cut about a foot off the tip and stuck the end eye back on with you guessed it "GAFFER TAPE".
:shocked: :hairpull:
I thought to myself. No! you can't see that repair can you?
:liar: but it was still worth it for the rings along.

My quandary is that I want to do the rod up as a long-term project, but now he has relieved the rod of 1 foot of its tip what do I do.
Do I make it into a hybrid quiver rod using a glassfibre quiver tip? Do I wait for a tip of similar tip dimensions to turn up and use that? Do I turn it into a medium test curve carp rod or just turn it into rod rests? The rod is about 10' 6" in length now. If you have any thoughts or if you recognise who it is made by please let me know.

I thank you for your time.

:Hat:

Image

Image
Last edited by Tonytoned on Sun May 20, 2018 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Bobby Marlene
Chub
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: A weird one with a Cane rod!

Post by Bobby Marlene » Sat May 19, 2018 9:19 pm

you could splice in a new tip. There are several descriptions on the net how to do it. I could send you copies from the relevant chapters of a number of rod building books: Just pm your email and I send a pdf.
Of course you´ll need a tip for this. Brings you into rod making. I do my first attempts now, it is addictive...
Good luck with the rod. Bobby

User avatar
Tonytoned
Grayling
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: A weird one with a Cane rod!

Post by Tonytoned » Sat May 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Bobby Marlene wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:19 pm
you could splice in a new tip. There are several descriptions on the net how to do it. I could send you copies from the relevant chapters of a number of rod building books: Just pm your email and I send a pdf.
Of course you´ll need a tip for this. Brings you into rod making. I do my first attempts now, it is addictive...
Good luck with the rod. Bobby
Thank you Bobby. That is a good idea. I will look into that as a possibility

:Thumb:

User avatar
OldAngler
Gudgeon
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Re: A weird event with a Cane rod!

Post by OldAngler » Wed May 23, 2018 6:53 pm

I agree to splice in a new tip. If you can guestimate the dimensions of the tip I suggest you ask if anyone on the Forum has a suitable tip for you.

If you do splice I strongly advise you to do a staggered splice. I posted info about this method a few weeks ago, or can guide you.

Regards,Old Angler

User avatar
Tonytoned
Grayling
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: A weird event with a Cane rod!

Post by Tonytoned » Wed May 23, 2018 8:35 pm

OldAngler wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 6:53 pm
I agree to splice in a new tip. If you can guestimate the dimensions of the tip I suggest you ask if anyone on the Forum has a suitable tip for you.

If you do splice I strongly advise you to do a staggered splice. I posted info about this method a few weeks ago, or can guide you.

Regards,Old Angler
Thank you for your thoughts and information OldAngler. It is very helpful. I'm still toying with the idea of turning it into a hybrid glass fibre quiver tip and possibly wait for a complete tip to turn up. Once I've sorted the delamination issue out I'll decide then. Many thanks Sir!

:Hat:

User avatar
Rutland Rod
Chub
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:50 am
Location: Rutland

Re: A weird event with a Cane rod!

Post by Rutland Rod » Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Tony,
For £4 quid you can’t go wrong, good handle and reel bands, a rubber button and the rings you were after a bargain....but after the bloke had bug.........up the rod perhaps an offer of £2.50 !
Dave

User avatar
Tonytoned
Grayling
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:07 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: A weird event with a Cane rod!

Post by Tonytoned » Fri May 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Rutland Rod wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 pm
Tony,
For £4 quid you can’t go wrong, good handle and reel bands, a rubber button and the rings you were after a bargain....but after the bloke had bug.........up the rod perhaps an offer of £2.50 !
Dave
Yeah perhaps I should have gone lower, won't be going to him for rod restoration :Hide:
Thanks Dave

Post Reply

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests