Another very talented British Rod Maker on the TFF

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Paul F
Tench

Another very talented British Rod Maker on the TFF

Post by Paul F » Sun May 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Last year I commissioned our own Watermole+ to make me a centrepin, which I named Rutilus Rutilus as it was designed as the perfect roach reel.

I have plenty of lovely vintage rods which are all suitable for roach, but what I really wanted was what I thought would be the perfect modern cane roach rod, slim, light in the hand and fast striking.

I have known fellow TFF'er Crucian (Paul) through the forum for about 3yrs, and he has helped and guided me through rod repairs and restoration, a joiner by trade, but generally a pretty clever bloke. :Hat:

I think it was about a year ago (I am sure Paul will correct me if I am wrong) Paul decide to turn his hand to rod making, he has posted some of the rods he has built and repaired, I have noticed over this time how he has got better and more knowledgeable on the various techniques, including the heat treatment, making ferrules and all the fittings.

All the rods to date had been copies of tapers, but back in February Paul worked how to hollow build, he then went on to build his own taper Ideal Roach rod, and I loved it, and I asked if I could commission him to build me my "Rutilus Rutius" :dance2:

Paul agreed and we discussed some modifications for my rod, Paul knows my love for Hardy rods and the lovely cane they used "Palakona" (meaning pale cane) Paul planned to come up with a way of producing a natural pale almost blonde cane, the baking of the cane makes the cane darker, but without giving away his method he managed it :Wink:

Well sorry it was a bit of a long story, but as you can tell I am very pleased and very excited, the only thing is, as I do not fish during the close season I will not get to use it until after 23rd June

The speciifcation
10'6" 2 piece, it is hollow built, and a fast taper so it is quite stiff and fine in the tip giving me the quick striking I wanted
A lovely Portuguese cork handle finished in hand turned brass furniture, the rod rings are whipped in a vintage burgundy silk, the inter whips are a gold which are almost translucent, the ferrule stopper is turned ebony, we agreed in a very light cut back varnish.
Oh and the weight, a tad over 9oz :Thumb:

So if you fancy your very own special rod, either to a current taper, or your very own, I can highly recommend Crucian, and price was very fair based on man hours he spent on it.

Sorry if I have embarrassed you Paul, but you really are a master craftsman, up there with the best :Hat:

Here she is
Last edited by Paul F on Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Wright
Bleak

Re: Another very talented British Rod Maker on the TFF

Post by Gary Wright » Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Looks absolutely superb Paul , Watermole is obviously a very talented rod maker. :drool:

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Sun May 20, 2018 11:03 pm

That is really very special. Well done Paul and Paul :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary Vice President

Post by AshbyCut » Sun May 20, 2018 11:13 pm

We are blessed to have such talent in our midst ... and to have this forum where their talents can be highlighted !!!!! :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

http://www.AshbyCut.com

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Mon May 21, 2018 7:37 am

Gary Wright wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 pm
Looks absolutely superb Paul , Watermole is obviously a very talented rod maker. :drool:
Thanks Gary, except Watermole+ is the reel Builder, Crucian is the Rod Maker :Wink:

CrayCane
Grayling

Post by CrayCane » Mon May 21, 2018 8:47 am

Very nicely done Paul (Crucian) it looks a cracker :Hat: and congratulations Paul F on a lovely rod.
Pete

Keston
Arctic Char

Post by Keston » Mon May 21, 2018 9:01 am

The rod looks fabulous , I'm sure you will have as much enjoyment from using it as you do satisfaction from owning it .

Watermole+
Grayling

Post by Watermole+ » Mon May 21, 2018 9:06 am

Gary Wright wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 pm
I only wish I could build rods to that standard Gary!

This superbly made example of the rodmakers art is 100% not mine, but the work of "Crucian" and all credit for this is due to him and him alone.

I am now very much looking forward to hearing how the rod & reel combination work together..

..and am thinking Paul, that you will now need a special "Rutilus rutilus" net and some floats to complete the outfit!!

A beautiful rod and one to be proud of.

wm+

....But lay up for yourselves treasure in Heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through and steal.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also
..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Mon May 21, 2018 9:16 am

..and am thinking Paul, that you will now need a special "Rutilus rutilus" net and some floats to complete the outfit!!

A beautiful rod and one to be proud of.
wm+
Now there's a thought :idea:

Dave Burr
Salmon

Post by Dave Burr » Mon May 21, 2018 9:31 am

All self respecting roach will be queueing up to be taken on that outfit. lovely stuff.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”