The ideal chub rod?

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Shed_Monkey
Grayling

The ideal chub rod?

Post by Shed_Monkey » Sat May 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Hello all,

I know the subject has been debated in terms of existing makes and models - but I would like to know if there is a consensus view on the attributes of the "ideal" chub rod, if such a beast exists rather than a specific make/model. I am thinking of building a rod for targeting better fish on small rivers in potentially snaggy swims where the occasional carp might turn up, so reasonably beefy but not something with an action like a poker and probably lightweight for a roving approach.

So what are your thoughts, for example - preferred length, configuration - 2pc v's 3pc v's 2pc with detachable handle, ringing pattern and type, weight - hollow built v's solid built cane, whole cane butt/sliced tips etc etc.

Cheers
Steve

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: The ideal chub rod?

Post by Mark » Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 pm

I would have thought a Peter stone Ledgerstrike is worth considering Steve, I love mine for chub fishing.

The Chapman rod specs can be found here http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=431
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca » Sat May 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Blimey! You're going to get a raft of differing opinions on this one!

I have two favourites for chub fishing. A Davenport and Fordham MKIV Avon and a 3 piece "Bitza". Spanish reed butt, reed spilced to whole cane middle and a split cane tip. If I could build a combination of the two I think I'd be happy.

2 piece, 11'. Whole cane spiced to whole cane butt and a whole cane spiced to split cane tip. Lots of stiffness at the butt end but still able to flex through because of the splices. Never seen anything like it in reality so it may of course be a terrible idea!!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Sat May 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Mark wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 pm
I would have thought a Peter stone Ledgerstrike is worth considering Steve, I love mine for chub fishing.

The Chapman rod specs can be found here http://www.chapmanblanks.co.uk/?page_id=431
Thanks Mark - which version do you prefer - 2pc or 3pc and why?

LuckyLuca wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:54 pm
Blimey! You're going to get a raft of differing opinions on this one!
I hope so - there might be something I've overlooked or not thought of, so am open to plenty of opinions and ideas :Thumb:

Has anyone made a 2pc Ledgerstrike to Peter Stones specification in his rod building book? If so - how did it turn out?

Cheers
Steve

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark » Sat May 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Shed_Monkey wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:03 pm
Mark wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks Mark - which version do you prefer - 2pc or 3pc and why?
Do you mean the Ledgerstrike rod.
Mark (Administrator)

where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Sat May 26, 2018 8:42 pm

Yes - the tapers are quite different but they say the 3 piece has the same action as the 2 piece. I'm not sure I fully believe that but haven't handled a 2 piece myself so couldn't make a comparison.

The taper given by Peter in his book is different again to the Chapman version which interests me.

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Sat May 26, 2018 9:06 pm

Many cane rods would suffice for chub, so it's really a mute question, afterall even big chub rarely fight past the first lunge. So I guess one would be wiser to consider the swim first and foremost when deciding which rod to use for chub. Likewise do you want to trot or ledger etc.etc.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 pm

Steve, It has got to be a craftversa
11' 3" 2 piece, the reverse taper butt certainly gives you that hit and hold confidence.
I landed 2 5lb'ers on mine on debut, in hit and hold situations in flood conditions.
The tip is fine enough for trotting too :Hat:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM » Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm

I prefer 3 piece "avon" type rods for chub fishing. This is for 2 reasons:

1. They are longer - I find that a 10ft 6in or 11ft rod works better than a 10 footer in most situations.
2. They generally have a finer tip than the MkIV Avon and its clones.

The rods that I use in rough order of preference are:

One of my two Wizard/Avocet copies. Either my AE Rudge which I fitted with a "twin taper" tip from a cane match rod or my WA Allcocks. Both have longer handles than an Allcocks Wizard which makes them much more usable. They can be used for float fishing or ledgering and will handle pretty much any chub that you will catch.

My Fosters of Ashbourne "The Perfection" 10ft 6in, hollow built and reportedly built on the same blank as later Aspindale 890s.

My own view, based on catching many big chub, is that a rod with a fine, soft tip (like a Ledgerstrike) will consistently catch more chub than any other type. The Ledgerstrike suffers from being only 10ft long which makes it less versatile as it can't really be used for float fishing. An 11ft, hollow built Ledgerstrike ringed with High Bells rings would be approaching a perfect chub rod, but in practise I would think that a Wizard with a longer handle would run it close.
Quot homines, tot sententiae. (And now we are 6!)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark » Sat May 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Shed_Monkey wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:42 pm
Yes - the tapers are quite different but they say the 3 piece has the same action as the 2 piece. I'm not sure I fully believe that but haven't handled a 2 piece myself so couldn't make a comparison.

The taper given by Peter in his book is different again to the Chapman version which interests me.
I have only used the 2 piece version so cannot comment on the three piece.
Mark (Administrator)

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”