The ideal chub rod?

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Re: The ideal chub rod?

Post by Shed_Monkey » Sat May 26, 2018 9:46 pm

SeanM wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm
I prefer 3 piece "avon" type rods for chub fishing. This is for 2 reasons:

1. They are longer - I find that a 10ft 6in or 11ft rod works better than a 10 footer in most situations.
2. They generally have a finer tip than the MkIV Avon and its clones.

The rods that I use in rough order of preference are:

One of my two Wizard/Avocet copies. Either my AE Rudge which I fitted with a "twin taper" tip from a cane match rod or my WA Allcocks. Both have longer handles than an Allcocks Wizard which makes them much more usable. They can be used for float fishing or ledgering and will handle pretty much any chub that you will catch.

My Fosters of Ashbourne "The Perfection" 10ft 6in, hollow built and reportedly built on the same blank as later Aspindale 890s.

My own view, based on catching many big chub, is that a rod with a fine, soft tip (like a Ledgerstrike) will consistently catch more chub than any other type. The Ledgerstrike suffers from being only 10ft long which makes it less versatile as it can't really be used for float fishing. An 11ft, hollow built Ledgerstrike ringed with High Bells rings would be approaching a perfect chub rod, but in practise I would think that a Wizard with a longer handle would run it close.
Now that's very interesting feedback indeed and I was interested to see what anyone might have to say about the Wizard type of rods. My opinion is that they can feel a little front heavy because of the light weight whole cane butt.

Hollow building would help to improve that, as would a longer handle, hmmm... hollow building will be the order of the day whichever design I run with... or perhaps there will have to be more than 1 build :whistle:
Paul F wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 pm
Steve, It has got to be a craftversa
11' 3" 2 piece, the reverse taper butt certainly gives you that hit and hold confidence.
I landed 2 5lb'ers on mine on debut, in hit and hold situations in flood conditions.
The tip is fine enough for trotting too :Hat:
There is certainly some beef low down in the Craftversa for hit and hold - I am considering making a Shedversa at some point. Any pictures of the 5lb'ers Paul?

Thank you both for the constructive and useful feedback.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Sat May 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks Mark - PM and favour request on the way.

Hovis
Eel

Post by Hovis » Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 pm

Righto here goes; my chub rod specifications. This is based on my own experiences on small to medium rivers anything larger would require a very different rod.

1: 11ft min ideally 11' 3". I find a 10ft rod that bit short, even on small rivers.

2: a very soft tip. Most of my "big" chub fishing is done ledgering. I mean soft too, a mk1v avon isn't soft enough.

3: 2 piece with additional handle. I find longer 3 piece rods have "flat spots" and I generally don't like the feel as much as a 2 piece.

4: a long handle. Certainly as long as a mk v1 carp. I much prefer the balance and leverage it gives. Handle dia of 3/4 -7/8", rubber button and flared cork end. Sliding reel bands for flexibility.

5: power. I have use all of the mk1v carp power when after chub. Something of around 1.5lb tc with a tippy action

6: weight. Most of my chub fishing over the past few years has involved a combination of touch ledgering and watching the tip, so I like a light rod. Hollow built would be good, let's say 10-11oz

7: rings. Highbells although I normally use a lead I still find that other guides let the line stick to the blank too much.

8: whipping. Bottle green with black tippings. I fish right under the tips and I'm convinced red can be seen by the fish. Looks pretty too.

Don't want much do I!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Hermit
Rudd

Post by Hermit » Sat May 26, 2018 11:59 pm

I always use a Wizard (not the 'super' version) for chub on the rivers I fish as I don't have a problem with the shorter handle -infact I find it an advantage in some of the tighter swims and especially whilst stalking. There seems to be a wide variance between the models (all 3 of mine are gold label) and although I haven't measured the tapers some are without doubt heavier in action than others, so it pays it seek out the action you are looking for.

Hovis is spot on about the line guides and I have had high bells fitted the one I use for trotting and even so there is a tendency for line to stick to the blank when wet - they really could do with an extra guide or two but aesthetics demanded I kept to the original guide positions.

The Super Wizards I've handled felt completely different from the standard version and too top heavy for me especially with the original handle.

I've used a lot of other canes for chub including an Avocet (over gunned I think), Adonis (ok but poor build quality) and the Chapman Hunter and FJ Taylor Roach (felt unweildly for the style I employ) and I always return to the Wizard. In the end I guess it comes down to style and taste but for me a well balanced Wizard outfit is my favourite of all...and they play a fish beautifully.

But only once I handled an original Craftversa and remain enthralled....
Fishing is worth no more than its pleasure. Bernard Venables.

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Sun May 27, 2018 7:07 am

Hovis wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:32 pm
Righto here goes; my chub rod specifications. This is based on my own experiences on small to medium rivers anything larger would require a very different rod.

1: 11ft min ideally 11' 3". I find a 10ft rod that bit short, even on small rivers.

2: a very soft tip. Most of my "big" chub fishing is done ledgering. I mean soft too, a mk1v avon isn't soft enough.

3: 2 piece with additional handle. I find longer 3 piece rods have "flat spots" and I generally don't like the feel as much as a 2 piece.

4: a long handle. Certainly as long as a mk v1 carp. I much prefer the balance and leverage it gives. Handle dia of 3/4 -7/8", rubber button and flared cork end. Sliding reel bands for flexibility.

5: power. I have use all of the mk1v carp power when after chub. Something of around 1.5lb tc with a tippy action

6: weight. Most of my chub fishing over the past few years has involved a combination of touch ledgering and watching the tip, so I like a light rod. Hollow built would be good, let's say 10-11oz

7: rings. Highbells although I normally use a lead I still find that other guides let the line stick to the blank too much.

8: whipping. Bottle green with black tippings. I fish right under the tips and I'm convinced red can be seen by the fish. Looks pretty too.

Don't want much do I!
Sounds like my 11ft Suredale Darren!

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Sun May 27, 2018 9:14 am

Shed_Monkey wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:46 pm
SeanM wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm
I prefer 3 piece "avon" type rods for chub fishing. This is for 2 reasons:

1. They are longer - I find that a 10ft 6in or 11ft rod works better than a 10 footer in most situations.
2. They generally have a finer tip than the MkIV Avon and its clones.

The rods that I use in rough order of preference are:

One of my two Wizard/Avocet copies. Either my AE Rudge which I fitted with a "twin taper" tip from a cane match rod or my WA Allcocks. Both have longer handles than an Allcocks Wizard which makes them much more usable. They can be used for float fishing or ledgering and will handle pretty much any chub that you will catch.

My Fosters of Ashbourne "The Perfection" 10ft 6in, hollow built and reportedly built on the same blank as later Aspindale 890s.

My own view, based on catching many big chub, is that a rod with a fine, soft tip (like a Ledgerstrike) will consistently catch more chub than any other type. The Ledgerstrike suffers from being only 10ft long which makes it less versatile as it can't really be used for float fishing. An 11ft, hollow built Ledgerstrike ringed with High Bells rings would be approaching a perfect chub rod, but in practise I would think that a Wizard with a longer handle would run it close.
Now that's very interesting feedback indeed and I was interested to see what anyone might have to say about the Wizard type of rods. My opinion is that they can feel a little front heavy because of the light weight whole cane butt.

Hollow building would help to improve that, as would a longer handle, hmmm... hollow building will be the order of the day whichever design I run with... or perhaps there will have to be more than 1 build :whistle:
Paul F wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:09 pm
Steve, It has got to be a craftversa
11' 3" 2 piece, the reverse taper butt certainly gives you that hit and hold confidence.
I landed 2 5lb'ers on mine on debut, in hit and hold situations in flood conditions.
The tip is fine enough for trotting too :Hat:
There is certainly some beef low down in the Craftversa for hit and hold - I am considering making a Shedversa at some point. Any pictures of the 5lb'ers Paul?

Thank you both for the constructive and useful feedback.
Steve, A link to my journal
viewtopic.php?f=397&t=27119

Harry
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry » Sun May 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Marco Test 12' 3 pc... soft tip for watching for bites and upstream work & plenty of grunt in the mid and butt sections
Formerly Bluelabel
Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Fred
Roach

Post by Fred » Sun May 27, 2018 4:55 pm

I like the (Masterline) John Wilson Avon, because of the four different tips.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Santiago
Salmon

Post by Santiago » Sun May 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Fred, I think they meant just cane rods! Although I have to agree that the Wilson Avon Quiver is a fantastic chub rod. Moreover, it's so good it's now considered as collectable from that era, unlike most other rods of those days.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”