Madeira Rayon No.40

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Stef
Roach

Madeira Rayon No.40

Post by Stef » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Hi,
does anyone use Madeira Rayon No.40 as whipping thread? Some nice colours available and I have ordered a colour chart including real samples of each colour. Unfortunately, after placing my order I have read somewhere that Madeira Rayon is useless for rodbuilding. I have used Gutermann Rayon in the past and after some initial difficulties I have achieved some satisfying results - I hope that the Madeira equivalent is similar in use. Anybody with some experience?

Thanks and all the best
Stef

Duebel
Eel

Re: Madeira Rayon No.40

Post by Duebel » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:42 pm

I've used it once and wasn't quite happy with it. The thickness seemed to be a little inconsistent.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Lovatt
Rudd

Post by Lovatt » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi Stef, yes I use Madeira silky threads, I get really good results the thread lays on the blank well has a wide selection of colours is not too thick I would say it is in between grade A & B. takes PVA sealer very well should not rot and I dare say it will keep it's colour and sheen for many years.
Favourite colour that matches the red in an oval Allcocks decal has to be 1181 and another lovely colour has to be 1035 check them out, oh and with a price to suit everyones pocket, they are fantastic!
After whipping the thread I seal it with weather proof PVA as many coats as needed normally three of four then sand the sealed whippings down with fine grade wet and dry paper glued to a lolly stick or other flat item so they are quite flat or to my liking and taste if I experience any tearing I just add more sealer to cover that up, then two coats of modern UV protective Yacht varnish lightly sanded and then follwed up with several coats of Junkers rustic oil which is like Yacht varnish. For me the final coat is the one matters most so a very light rub down on any imperfections and then the final coat goes on, works for me I dare say it will work for you too.
Allcocks Decal.JPG
Butt ring.JPG
Trevor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stef
Roach

Post by Stef » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 am

Thank you :Hat:

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:29 pm

I'm currently using the green/gold "twist". Not too bad, but seems to damage easily.
Quot homines, tot sententiae. (And now we are 6!)

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 pm

I use this thread , never had a problem with it and a good range of colours
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Lovatt
Rudd

Post by Lovatt » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:57 pm

I have never tried the twist jasper threads in the Madeira range, thanks for your input on this.

Trevor

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Lovatt wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:57 pm
I have never tried the twist jasper threads in the Madeira range, thanks for your input on this.

Trevor
The jaspers are 2-ply (two threads wound together) which gives a slightly different look than the old Gudebrod ones which (I think) were 3-ply. I've not got to the varnishing stage yet, but they take banana oil OK for sealing. They are fairly smooth off the bobbin and don't seem to fluff up on my rod winder, but they do seem to be prone to damage from dry fingers and any slips when packing the thread on winding. There seems to be absolutely no stretch so you have to be careful with maintaining tension especially when doing inters - 4 turns is the practical minimum here.

Hope that helps!
Quot homines, tot sententiae. (And now we are 6!)

Stef
Roach

Post by Stef » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks for your comments!

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”