A pair of MKIV Avons

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Shed_Monkey
Grayling

A pair of MKIV Avons

Post by Shed_Monkey » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:55 pm

A little while ago I decided to give up home brewing due to being struck by gout and Roger aka The Bishop had my gear. Unexpectedly, he very kindly gave me a lovely dark flamed JB Walker MKIV Avon that had been built up by a keen angler many years ago in exchange for the brewing gear. I used the rod near the end of last season and it has started something of a fascination in me. So much so, that I decided not only to give the JB Walker rod a new lease of life but to build another so that I could ring one up for bottom fishing and one for trotting - and between them I will be tracking down the local chub for some sport this season.

There was a problem with the length of the tip section on the JB Walker rod, which I found was due to the way the male counter had been fitted all those years ago. The ferrule station on the cane was not of the right diameter, the counter had been hammered on (bulging the counter and damaging the moisture dam in the process) and the last 15mm was empty as it was not fully on the cane. In the process of removal I had to damage it beyond repair due to the way it was hammered on, however I made up a new one on the lathe and all was good again with a lovely smooth "pop" fit.

My own build was done using un-flamed, baked blonde cane, high bells rings with clear glass butt and tip rings (Thank you once again Jeremy). I made all the hardware myself, opting for a low flash "satin" finish on the matching end cap and reel bands and simple blacked brass splint end reinforced ferrules. I imported some jasper threads from the USA a while back and this was their first outing with the blonde rod sporting orange/black (quite a copper colour in reality) and gold/black on the older rod.

I chose a very thick walled culm for the build as it was full of power fibres and has given the butt section a little more backbone than some examples of the MKIV Avon can exhibit (this is very definitely not a buggy whip). I can't wait to get it onto the bank side and give it a work out on some fish.

They've both had a first coat of varnish today and are hanging in the cupboard drying right now - so please excuse the poor pictures as the light is nearly all gone now and the flash isn't brilliant... but here are the rods.

Cheers
Steve

Mick
Grayling

Re: A pair of MKIV Avons

Post by Mick » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:25 pm

Wonderful work SM. A real credit to your skills.

Crucian
Brown Trout

Post by Crucian » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:01 am

Very nice indeed Steve :Hat:

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 am

Thank you chaps - I will try and get some better snaps this evening while there is still a little natural light.

Cheers
Steve

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:31 am

Lovely job very nice indeed you should be proud of your self :fishing1: mike

CrayCane
Grayling

Post by CrayCane » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:48 am

Very nicely done Steve. I like that Jasper thread.
Pete

LuckyLuca
Sea Trout

Post by LuckyLuca » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:09 am

Wow, that looks lovely. An Avon with a touch more backbone in the butt section sounds like a really nice thing!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Keston
Arctic Char

Post by Keston » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:15 am

That looks lovely and very useful with a touch extra strength .

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Cant wait to see more photos, they look fantastic Steve!
I do like the jaspe silk, there's just something about it that gives a rod a high quality look.
Its one thing restoring rods but to make them from scratch takes real skill, knowledge and craftsmanship, particularly when it comes to making ferrules etc. I take my hat off to you sir! :Hat:

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Beautiful, simply beautiful.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”