A pair of MKIV Avons

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Wallys-Cast
Zander

Re: A pair of MKIV Avons

Post by Wallys-Cast » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Very nice Steve, I often hear others saying how they would like a rod somewhere between a MKIV Avon and a MKIV Carp. It sounds as if it could be achieved by careful cane selection and heat treatment without an increase in cane size or added weight and may well be the reason the earlier rods are so much thought of.
Measuring the difference accurately is probably the hardest thing to achieve but it would be a very interesting thing if it could be done.

Wal.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Wallys-Cast wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 pm
Very nice Steve, I often hear others saying how they would like a rod somewhere between a MKIV Avon and a MKIV Carp. It sounds as if it could be achieved by careful cane selection and heat treatment without an increase in cane size or added weight and may well be the reason the earlier rods are so much thought of.
Measuring the difference accurately is probably the hardest thing to achieve but it would be a very interesting thing if it could be done.

Wal.
Hi Wal - Culm selection and heat treatment have a profound effect on the action of a rod and I agree with your conclusion regarding earlier rods. I think the "best" makers were those who understood this and were meticulous about where they sourced their cane from - and how they selected and treated the cane for each application.

Cheers
Steve

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:49 pm

I've had a go at pictures in more natural light but it's amazing how quickly the sun moves in the evening - anyway here's a couple more.

This is the JB Walker rod - it really glows a beautiful deep coffee brown in the sunlight which I have been unable to capture on my phone. The sharp eyed among you will notice the tipping is also a jasper thread in brown/black.

This is my build - the MKIV Avon with attitude - I have designed the reel bands to be a secure fit with my little Mitchell 314/304's and a good fit with a Rapidex. They are a little slacker with a Pre-war Perfection Flick 'Em so I will make another set customised for that job (I chose to make the handle so I can remove the rings easily to allow this)

Cheers
Steve

ReelMaker
Grayling

Post by ReelMaker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:25 pm

They look a lot thinner than the D Walker avons would be a lighter action ?

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:41 pm

great skills Steve :Hat:

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:15 pm

ReelMaker wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:25 pm
They look a lot thinner than the D Walker avons would be a lighter action ?
Hi ReelMaker - They are lovely rods in the hand and with the reel in its usual place balances just a gnats whisker in front of the reel.

I have measured the taper of several MKIV Avons and studied those of various makers on paper - mine closely follows the numbers used by Bob Southwell which is an approximate reduction of 10% on Walkers MKIV Carp taper.

My own version is a bit less whippy than the older rods due to my choice of cane for the butt section.

Cheers
Steve
Last edited by Shed_Monkey on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Paul F wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:41 pm
great skills Steve :Hat:
Thanks Paul :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Arctic Char

Post by Jeremy Croxall » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 pm

A gorgeous looking rod Steve, beautiful finish (as ever) and no doubt a delight to fish with too. It must be a very special experience to catch a fish on a rod that you have made yourself? I hope you will report on its christening very soon! :Hat:

ReelMaker
Grayling

Post by ReelMaker » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:04 am

Hi sir,why don't you make a few to sell to members only ,I'm sure they would be very sort after .

Steve B
Ruffe

Post by Steve B » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:39 am

Lovely pair of rods Steve, nice work....

Steve B

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”