Advice sought on a cork handle.

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Martin H
Ruffe

Advice sought on a cork handle.

Post by Martin H » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:45 am

On using my rather old Martin James 'Greaves' yesterday on a hot sunny day, I found the reel fittings kept coming adrift and wouldn't grip the reel foot.

Despite deforming the soft alloy reel grips to get some purchase I struggled all day. On getting home it was obvious to me the handle was so worn it needs replacing. I'd like to put on a new cork handle, keeping the original butt and top fittings and reel fittings.
I expect I'll be able to remove the old corks with some patience without damaging the blank underneath.

Does anyone know where I can get corks from? The only ones I can find are complete 'all in one' cork handles. I'd like to build the handle as it was originally made. Also what do I measure to make sure I get the right size?

Thanks all in advance!!

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: Advice sought on a cork handle.

Post by Chubman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:00 pm

cork shives are not cheap to buy, you will need to ream out the inner hole to suit the blank underneath,do not try to drill the cork, a sharp bit of tube filed down on the edge will do the job, cork shive normal sizes are 16mm wide x 30mm dia with a 8mm hole in the middle, so if you have a 2ft handle you will need 38 shives plus a few spares just in case you break a few, last time a bought some they cost 30p each, just looked on guides and blanks web site and there £1-90p each,just for one cork ring

Martin H
Ruffe

Post by Martin H » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Thank you for the above, having more success now I'm searching for 'shives'. I'm hoping the cane isn't tapered under the cork, as I really don't want to strip the ring and whipping off as they are mint.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:25 pm

you can allways wrapp whipping thread on the cane blank to build up to the right dia,and glue the cork with pva glue

Martin H
Ruffe

Post by Martin H » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Thank you again... I think it's beyond me to do the job, the cork is 16 1/4 inches long and has 3/4" corks, the end corks are also cut down to size, can't get the alloy butt cap off, and the price off new corks is in my opinion prohibitive!
On a happier note I've tried my Mitchell 304 on the rod and it's much more secure, maybe the rod design on those days suited reels of the day more?

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm

you can allways put a thin strip of velcro under the reel fittings so its a tighter fit on the reel seat

Martin H
Ruffe

Post by Martin H » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Chubman wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:47 pm
you can allways put a thin strip of velcro under the reel fittings so its a tighter fit on the reel seat
That set me thinking!!!... cork handlebar tape from cycling will do the trick.. Thank you again.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:39 pm

you can buy a whole sleave (23") or part whole sleave 8" real easy to fit too (you can fit from the rear end without stripping down the rod).you can get strait or flared end etc ,just depends on the shape of current handle and weather you want to keep it original or just new handle .if you intend to keep the old bands you'll need to know the dia of the bands/handle as the sleaves come in either 23mm or 25mm .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Martin H
Ruffe

Post by Martin H » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:59 am

Chavender wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:39 pm
you can buy a whole sleave (23") or part whole sleave 8" real easy to fit too (you can fit from the rear end without stripping down the rod).you can get strait or flared end etc ,just depends on the shape of current handle and weather you want to keep it original or just new handle .if you intend to keep the old bands you'll need to know the dia of the bands/handle as the sleaves come in either 23mm or 25mm .
Thanks, I'm more swayed to replacing it with sleeves now, have found 5" and a 2" flared sleeve. Need to remove this butt end and will then measure.

It seems to have a brass pin locating it, I'm thinking.. drill it out, apply heat to melt the glue, then unscrew it? The screw in the end seems to be an integral part of the fitting.

Chavender
Arctic Char

Post by Chavender » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:57 pm

on ebay you can get full 23" flared both ends with a tapered inner and eight inch ones ,as a strait or flared end in two I/d 9mm /16mm

8inch sleaves in flared or strait etc: I/d 9mm / 16mm o/d 23mm (23-25mm bands ,depending on fit wanted) more combinations with these as you can make them fit the rods old handles shape with a little trimming.but not cheap at nearly £10 a section
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rod-Building ... 4b4509a5e0

full flared ended cork sleave ,14mm I/d ,24mm o/d (24-26mm bands,depending on how loose you want them ,25mm good fit with most reels)
one shot job or trimmed ,not bad at £16
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cork-fishing ... 1438.l2649

fitting depends on handles original shape ie if it bulges at the top or flared at the bottom etc and length of old cork .if its bulged at the top (and the bulbus bit is ok ,then just where it levels off (mostly where the reel will sit & wears) you can get away with leaving the bulbus bit there removing the level section of corks ,your but cap will need the pin taking out then heated up and removed ,wiuth the 8" sleaves you could use one full strait one for the top half ,and a flared one for the bottom .this will need trimming of the sleave (just a sharpe blade needed) if its too long remove some from the none flared end you need too offer the but cap upto the rear of the flare and trim off the excess ,the trick is too trim it so the flared bit sits 1 1/2" up the blank trimmed too be just wider than the butt cap ,then you glue any bits you trimmed off behind the flared end to mount the butt cap onto filed /sanded to shape .then glue the cap on .this way the bands should drop down but not go over the slightly flared end or butt cap .the butt cap has a screw terminating it ,this should unscrew to allow the use of a button if desired.

I've used the 8" sleaves to replace the foam grip on my jw.avon/quiver
viewtopic.php?f=451&t=25681

If your not bothered about keeping the original shape or style of the handle then the single full length flared sleave would simply go on with maybe the addition of a winding check ,if fitted from the bottom end the blank might need building up slightly ,masking tape is good for this as it absorbs some of the glue and sets solid ,simply fit a winding check to conceal the hole / tape .

I've used the full cork sleaves too
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27146

the devil is in the detail : measure the blank dia (just above the cork ,corks outer dia (to see if old bands will go onto new cork) ,length to know how many sections needed etc .

both solutions can be fitted leaving the rings and whippings in place .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”