Advice sought on a cork handle.

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Martin H
Gudgeon

Re: Advice sought on a cork handle.

Post by Martin H » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm greatly indebted to you Sir for taking the trouble to post all this, it has motivated me to pull my finger out and do the job. Once the start of the season 'rush' has subsided. Thank you again. Martin

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Sanding a cork shive handle to shape is a filthy job!

I suspect it's the reason a few old rod builders died of lung disease. Do wear a breathing mask and expect to generate a mountain of cork dust. Setting up a lathe and an extractor fan is a good idea, but a bit of a drag for just one handle, I suppose.

If you can track it down I recommend Swiss Siarex sandpapers.....nothing else is as good.

The cane will be tapered under the old handle so go carefully with the Stanley knife. Guided 'n Blanks sell a nice tapered reamer for opening the holes out in shives and cork sections, and if you use an expanding glue, like Gorilla Glue, you don't have to be perfectly accurate.

OldAngler
Gudgeon

Post by OldAngler » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:24 pm

When I had the same problem a while ago as a temporary measure I slid a short length of a plastic (garden) plant label under the reel seat.ee

Am I missing the point? Ted Oliver has recently been selling lovely corks / shives at a very reasonable price.

Martin H
Gudgeon

Post by Martin H » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:09 am

Well... I've plucked up the courage and ordered a 2" flared 15/16th top and 2x 8" 15/16th sleeves from Chapmans. Gorilla glue, masking tape and a spare alloy butt cap and button in case I destroy the old one getting it off.
The existing alloy butt cap is pinned on, and after stripping off the cork I can see it does not have cork underneath, but a sort of solid, maybe epoxy insert that it is attached to.. plan is to remove the lot as I'd like to work from that end to save stripping the furnishings and ring from the rod, then shape the end of the cork to fit the butt cap.
I'll make up a reamer from an old piece of fishing rod and some cloth backed sandpaper once everything arrives. I can see many hours of happy hand sanding ahead!! Thanks all for your kind advice, I'll post pics up of the finished handle once done.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”