Designing and Building a Fishing Rod

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Terry C
Arctic Char

Re: Designing and Building a Fishing Rod

Post by Terry C » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Well done Neil and thank you
Formerly known as Bobthefloat

Terry C
Arctic Char

Post by Terry C » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Well done Neil and thank you
Formerly known as Bobthefloat

CrayCane
Crucian Carp

Post by CrayCane » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:53 pm

Looking very nice Neil :Hat:
Pete

Liphook
Grayling

Post by Liphook » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:01 am

Utterly top draw and an extremely informative read :Hat:

Gone Fishing
Ruffe

Post by Gone Fishing » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:48 am

I am only amazed. :Thumb: Consideration. A very nice workmanship. Hats off. And thanks for your great reports and photos.
Markus
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers

Barbulus
Eel

Post by Barbulus » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:54 am

Almost there Neil; superb finish on the end caps and reel fittings; Great write up and I think they should all be ready for the Spring carp trip ....

Wallys-Cast
Sea Trout

Post by Wallys-Cast » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Absolutely superb workmanship. Well done Neil, that's what's called making a rod from scratch.

Wal.

Duebel
Eel

Post by Duebel » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:40 pm

That's just amazing! I need to repeat myself - you should make a book out of this project. I'd certainly buy a copy.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Beresford
Zander

Post by Beresford » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:44 pm

The dark green anodised reel seats look fabulous.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Northern_Nomad
Chub

Post by Northern_Nomad » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Time for the latest instalment.

Before I do start I have been asked a question on cleaning up small fiddly parts after machining to take off marks to the metal during the making of them. An excellent piece of equipment for this task is a rock tumbler used by amateur geologists for polishing rocks.

Small fiddly parts can be put in these and an abrasive medium added to the drum with water if required. The drum is sealed and put on the tumbler for the desired time span. The pic above is a small one which is ideal for small parts.

I also have access to a larger on which I used for the reel seat tubes to give a professional factory like finish before anodising. It also gets rid of any grease or oil too.

OK, onto the next stage of the build which were the rings and cosmetics. Each rod has eight rings including the tip and butt ring which is exactly the same as the MKIV. Being two foot longer the rings are spread out a bit wider. The butt ring is the same size 17mm id but the id of the rest are 15, 11, 10, 9.5, 7.5, 6 and the id of the lined tip ring is 7 compared to a regular MKIV which is 11.5, 7.5, 7, 6.5, 6, 5.5 and tip ring id of 5. This will aid with casting and also looks balanced on the bigger rod.

For the whipping I had gone ahead with something different as I wanted this rod to have some unique features. My wife’s hobby is quilting. The house is full of them, each one intricately hand stitched. The upshot of this is that there is a regular input of different threads to our house. Over the years I have been testing various ones for strength, non fuzz and ability to hold colour. In summer when gardening you will find various canes holding up plants with test whipping on them, left outside in the garden to see how they cope. For this rod I had a thread which I knew I wanted to use.

In days gone past a variety of whipping silks were used and indeed also rayons and nylons as these became available. The current fashion is generally for fine silk whippings such as Pearsall’s which are bound tightly so they become a solid band of colour with varnish layers which make them look like a solid colour bar. The other two styles tend to be the same but opaque which is more favoured on fly rods than course rods or variegated or two colour twist threads, commonly called jasper threads. These have their following and fans, however of the threads arriving at our house for quilting I had found a thread which was twisted but in the same colour ie instead of black/white or red/black twist; it was green/green twist. As green is one of my favourite colours, I had tried it previously and was very pleased with the results.

Being a twisted thread no matter how tightly you whip the threads together it will still show each individual turn due to the twist pattern which is like a hatch pattern. What this does do is to give the whipping a slight iridescence as you look at it from different angles. Out in the sunshine it looks even better and does make the rod zing. So this thread was used for the entire ring whipping. A finer thread from the same company in the same colour but with no visible twist was used to do the intermediates as these rods cosmetics were to mirror the MKIV. Another plus point to this wasthat it is possible to get the threads in commercial machinist size cones so I have enough for many, many rods in the future for about the same price as a about 200/300 mtrs of specific fishing whipping thread.

The rings were duly whipped on and some copper coloured tippings were added, quite subtle and easy on the eye.

The next custom part of the build was the butt and tip rings. You will have noticed that the reel seats are green, the whippings and intermediates are green so there is a common theme appearing here. To continue this I had 3 sets of butt and tip rings custom made by Ernest Oczos over in Poland. He didn’t stock 27mm rings in this colour so he contacted his supplier who makes the agatine liners for a special set, and then made them up into the rings – 27mm outside dia and 17mm inside dia. To go with these were a set of 3 tip rings in the same colour with 7mm id rings. The colour?........why jade green of course! I was over the moon when these arrived. The indoor pictures don’t do them justice and once outside in the daylight they have a lovely translucent quality to them. Ernest has surpassed himself with these. Anyone wishing to go down this route can contact via ernest.oczos@perfect-europe.com

Next came the intermediates. I have several MKIV’s and my favourite is the earliest version featuring an onion handle and graduated intermediates rather than the later ones with equi-distant intermediates. I just prefer the way they close up as they travel up the rod so I set to copy this style. There are 202 intermediates per rod and I had three rods to complete meaning tying 606 of them. I have now completed all except two sets between two rings on the last tip. These should be completed in the next couple of days

As the whippings were drying on rods #2 and #3 I started to varnish rod #1. After a couple of coats on the ring whippings had dried off I laid down the first coat on the blank sections. Once this had dried I turned my attention the nomenclature. I have seen many fine rods practically ruined by a badly scrawled signature or rod names and I heartily believe if you can’t do extremely neat writing, even better if you are skilled in cursive or copperplate script then leave it alone and resort to transfers. My writing is reasonably neat, but I don’t consider it neat enough for rod scripting so I use transfers. These took quite a while to make and I employed good old fashioned draughtsmanship techniques with technology only coming into it in the final stages. There are three transfers. The first is above the handle and has my name and states the rods are handmade.

The second transfer is my own logo which I designed some time ago with my motto “Strength Through Quality”. This will appear on all my handmade rods.

The final transfer is the name of the rod. Being as I was born in the fifties, the rod has a sting in the tail and features a green theme to me the choice was obvious…………..
Ladies and Gentlemen …..Introducing the (Green) Hornet.

The next set of rods under the STQ banner will be a set of lighter rods at 11 foot something for barbel fishing and will be named the Wasp. Others to come will continue in this vein – Dragonfly, Damsel, Mosquito etc etc.

At the moment all three rods are going through the varnishing stages less the third tip which need finishing. As each coat requires drying time it is a slow process.

In the next (final?) instalment I will introduce the finished rods to the reel they have been designed to work with and hopefully get to put them through their paces, either in a test condition or even better in a fishing situation. Keep an eye on the weather!

Rgds

Neil
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”