Designing and Building a Fishing Rod

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Wallys-Cast
Zander

Re: Designing and Building a Fishing Rod

Post by Wallys-Cast » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:09 pm

Well done Neil, a brilliant post and one that I will really look forward to reading.

I for one, certainly wouldn't know where to start in designing a long range Carp rod.

Wal.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:44 pm

I'll be watching with interest.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Beresford
Zander

Post by Beresford » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:51 pm

I've been privileged to see a little more of this project and I can write, without letting any secrets out of the bag, that it is an incredible undertaking. Well worth watching this space as the details of the design is revealed.

I'm looking forward to the report after the first field tests of No1.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

BobTheFloat
Arctic Char
Location: Over there that's me waving! I like your hat is it lined?

Post by BobTheFloat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:32 pm

What a great post Neil I look forward to seeing the finished Rods.
If you checkout Norman Aguters website they claim to have made a cane carp rod which will cast 170yds :shocked:
"The flying fox"
Your one bite away from the best session of your life

Harry
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 am

Good luck with the project Neil... I'll be interested to see how it turns out... I've just had my Sharpe's refurbished by Wal, a couple of enquiries about the TC of those rods have brought forth the figure of between 2.5lb and 3lbs.

Now its not beyond the realms of possibility to have longer rods... say 11' with the same sort of test curve with more strength in the middle and a softer tip... the middle strength for distance casting and the softer tip to prevent hook pulls in close... for casting 100 yards... I'd say a TC of less than 3lbs would be needed, say 2.75 and they should be able to throw a 2oz lead the required distance...

As an aside for comparison I have a pair of c*rb*n Nash Dwarf's of 9' and 2.75lbs and they will comfortably chuck a 2oz lead 100 yards so it should be eminently possible to do with a longer cane rod... I shall follow this project with interest, as having seen examples of your work they'll look superb as well as doing the job in hand
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

JW1
Perch

Post by JW1 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:08 am

A really interesting post Neil, good luck with your endeavours and can I put my name down for one when you go into production.

JW

Northern_Nomad
Chub

Post by Northern_Nomad » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am

BobTheFloat wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:32 pm
What a great post Neil I look forward to seeing the finished Rods.
If you checkout Norman Aguters website they claim to have made a cane carp rod which will cast 170yds :shocked:
"The flying fox"
Thanks Terry, I’ve just had a look, very interesting.

Whilst not in any way trying to be disrespectful to Aggutter’s who are a reputable brand, the fact that a multiplier reel was used does make me think there was a touch of ‘engineering’ to achieve the result. A staggeringly good result though :Hat:

I would be intrigued to compare my finished rod to theirs for any similarities, although I do stress I am trying to build a fishing rod not an all out casting tool.

Anyway the die is now set. The calculations have been done and the formers set, plane blades sharpened!

Cheers :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Northern_Nomad
Chub

Post by Northern_Nomad » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:00 am

Harry wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 am
Good luck with the project Neil... I'll be interested to see how it turns out... I've just had my Sharpe's refurbished by Wal, a couple of enquiries about the TC of those rods have brought forth the figure of between 2.5lb and 3lbs.

Now its not beyond the realms of possibility to have longer rods... say 11' with the same sort of test curve with more strength in the middle and a softer tip... the middle strength for distance casting and the softer tip to prevent hook pulls in close... for casting 100 yards... I'd say a TC of less than 3lbs would be needed, say 2.75 and they should be able to throw a 2oz lead the required distance...

As an aside for comparison I have a pair of c*rb*n Nash Dwarf's of 9' and 2.75lbs and they will comfortably chuck a 2oz lead 100 yards so it should be eminently possible to do with a longer cane rod... I shall follow this project with interest, as having seen examples of your work they'll look superb as well as doing the job in hand

Thanks Harry,

I have a Sharpes 9’3” spinning rod and I know these Sharpes rods are pokey little devils. I looked at various rods along the way over the last couple of years since dreaming this project up, and sought to understand how their tapers and length worked in tandem. It’s a fascinating subject that sucks you in.

Casting distance is only one aspect of the design. As I stated, having a rod which can connect on the strike at distance and also hit and hold is also a desired attribute.

I have followed the newer trend of shorter modern rods with interest. Due to the difference in cane and modern fibre technology I think it is interesting that it is now revolving 70 years later around to RW’s original design, although the black stuff overcomes the inherent shortcomings of cane. This is not the first time I have had personal experience of RW being years ahead in his thinking.
:Hat:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Harry
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:47 am

That was the reasoning behind Kevin Nash's idea to reintroduce the short rod concept... as an occasional black stuff user I find them great for the waters I fish (small and intimate) That said, a say... 11' or 11'6" cane rod of approximately 2.75 lbs test curve would be ample for casting long distances, & being stiff enough to pick up line at those distances and soft enough in the tip to forgive any sudden lunges under the rod tip... another factor would be the distance involved would preclude the use of slack lines, therefore with a tight line to the lead then line pickup ceases to be a major issue... you could use a flying backlead to pin the line out of the main body of water, but then line pickup does become an issue, and these severely hamper indication at distance... definitely a thorny problem.

The Sharpe's 9'3" rods are very powerful for cane rods... whether it's the impregnation process that makes them that way, or the taper (which is quite severe) I don't know, but I would say that modelling them on the Sharpe's would be a good starting point for a long range rod, also with distance casting, it is not so much about the rod, but as much about technique.. it's about loading up the blank on the power stroke that gets the distance.. something very few anglers achieve, and something I'd be wary of using cane...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Reedling
Barbel

Post by Reedling » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:00 am

With a fixed spool reel, Finer main line with a shock leader well coned rings, ie large dia butt ring and others progressing to tip will also help greatly with distance casting with a lighter lead.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”