TOM WATSON

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Torridge Cane
Gudgeon

TOM WATSON

Post by Torridge Cane » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Has anyone got a good picture of a Tom Watson ... Trent Special
l have just got one that needs work ,all signed, some eyes have been moved , and extra eyes put on with electrical tape
it's correct length 11 1/2 'very light , will make a great user rod
hole cane butt ,top section is hole cane with split cane spliced in
would like a good picture can't find anything on the nett ,to give me an idea of what l'm aiming at, it would be a very great help to me
regards

Olly
Ferox

Re: TOM WATSON

Post by Olly » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:16 pm

This rod may have been made by Aspindale and badged and sold by Tom Watson.

Is it 2 sections? Bottom in whole cane with tip of whole cane with spliced in split cane. Are the joints numbered?

I have 1 made and sold by Aspindale - it is called an "Avon". I am sure this is similar to Tom Watson's Hornet(?). The second one has an extended handle possibly covering the maker's name - or there are no makers details

Torridge Cane
Gudgeon

Post by Torridge Cane » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:15 pm

I would find it hard to believe Aspindale would have built a rod like this
the hole cane butt is far from what you would call straight !!
it's just a bit of old bamboo top is as i sail hole cane with split spliced in,it has no ferrules , just pushed together hole cane to hole cane !!
so thinking it's an early one , the information that l have got does say he did make a few rods out the back of his shop !
l could be well off but cannot see Aspindale putting their name to this one ,
all said, l love the look of this rod ,it will have to have ferrules put on it, l see a small split in the butt end when it goes together
finding infor is proving hard for this model, a photo would help greatly
rod says Trent Special 111/2 '
Tom Watson and son
Nottingham

Olly
Ferox

Post by Olly » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:51 pm

There have been several for sale in recent years.

I am now assuming you are saying it is "ferruleless"? And only two sections? With a whole cane butt? And a whole cane with spliced-in split cane part of the top joint? What colour are the whippings? Red/maroon?

View this thread:- viewtopic.php?t=8073

Penninelad
Crucian Carp

Post by Penninelad » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 am

I have been using a Tom Watson "The Hornet" in recent weeks and have concluded it was probably built by Aspindale's as the writing on the butt section is identical,it has bronze rod rings identical to those on my other Aspindale's rods and the rod bag is identical.A lovely light float rod.
Mark Davies

Torridge Cane
Gudgeon

Post by Torridge Cane » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:04 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage this will give you some idea of the rod
it does say Tom Watson , Trent Special 11 1/2'
it's blue whipped ,l would bet it's the original
has a spigot in the centre of the butt,[see pictures ] section to help seat the top section l presume , this has a split in it ,easy to see when you put it together
the splice is whipped red ,
the but end did have a red whipping , that has gone
all the eyes are rusty
have a new set, l will put a ferrule on it, it needs it
the but end is just bamboo ,not sanded ,not straight, as you can see, just a piece of bamboo , the type you buy for your runner beans, is the only way l can describe it
again saying all that l love the look and lightness of it , it's a KEEPER !!!!
what do you think , as l said , l'm after a good picture of one ,to see the number of eyes on the butt ,think 2 it had 5 when l got it , put on with electric
tape

Reedling
Barbel

Post by Reedling » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 pm

I have a rod that says Trent special on the butt but does not have the Tom Watson name. Mine has a ferrule and is slightly shorter in length than yours. If you look at the link above you will see a picture of my rod, if I can be of any help re measurements etc just ask. I have loved using my rod and I know you will feel the same once it is up and running. :Hat:

Torridge Cane
Gudgeon

Post by Torridge Cane » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:27 am

you star
for argument sake mine is 5'9" if my maths is right ,
l am thinking that the butt end has 2 eyes , the top has 7, would that be the same as yours ?
I you but section , just a piece of bamboo like mine , or has it been worked up ?
the picture of yours shows ferrules , l will have to get a pair for mine ,this l think is going to alter the length by an inch or 2 but l can't see any other way round this ....thinking about it , if l can get a ferrule to fit on the but section, l can fill in the gap with red silk , it was red silk on the butt section
that can be seen in my picture , that was whipped to give some strength to the end of the butt when pushing the top sectithon together ,l'm thinking
that was always going to be a weak link in the rod, all this put together makes me think this rod , was made in his workshop ,l have read that he would do that sort of thing , if a customer wanted one , he waited until he had 4/5 people after one , he would then go into the work shop at the back of his tackle shop, make up the order
i just need to find someone with a spare ferrule that l can get my hands on, to start this project off
l will notstripp the rod completely just give it a good clean up ,l do like a rod with a bit of character ,not one that been turned into a new rod , better than the day it first came out ....... might have too though, as all the eyes need replacing , l have a great blue silk ,match
this is tuned into an essay !!!
do you know of any one with quality ferrules , they would part with , after crossing their palms with silver !!!!!

Reedling
Barbel

Post by Reedling » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:01 am

Here are some pictures I took of my rod pre restoration, all I did was renew or re whip the eyes so no different to this apart from cosmetically. Length of butt section without rubber button is 68 1/8". whips are red, garnet I think I used. PS... If you right click on picture and open in a new window, image size is increased quite a bit. :Hat:

Torridge Cane
Gudgeon

Post by Torridge Cane » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:26 am

up date on the Trent Special , l put the rod together ,so l could get the size of it ,[ trying to keep it the same as it was] . before trying to put a ferrule on it , did this , after that noticed
it had a huge split in it !!! and several smaller ones as well,
this is caused as the original had a small brass ring on butt and top section , stopping you from pushing it to far down , and splitting it !!!!these had long gone,still being used without them , had l guessed caused all this ,
as all this was going on ,about 2 1/2 " snapped off the butt section , it being paper thin , why l don't no , as it looked ok looking down on it ,and from the picture , put on, you can see
any way l have repaired it , with a little magic etc , even the big split and got round the butt section being 2 1/2" short, it is now back to the original length ,having a very bad back has left me lying down with hours to think , not a bad thing !
will tell all when l get the glue off ,new rings on......must admit too feeling like a dog with two D***S ,really big ones at that !
Also think this is one of Tom's early rods ,going on the cane butt that's all over the place ,thin diameter of butt , and the blue whippings ,
thanks to TFF , as l found a picture of a ferruless one that help greatly
thanks
Jon T.C

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”