Piper's Silk

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
MGs
Pike

Piper's Silk

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 pm

I must admit to being extremely disappointed. I've used Piper's a few times and had no problems at all. The same can't be said at the moment.
I'm in the process of restoring a float rod and fancied a change from my usual garnet, so opted for a mid green. That is where my problems started.
Ten days after I'd placed and paid for the order I got an email to tell me that there would be a delay, as if 10 days wasn't already a delay. Oh well, I thought, worth waiting for what I wanted.
How wrong I was. Just over two weeks after the order, the thread arrived. I opened the pack and immediately thought something was wrong. At first I thought the thread was black. It was so dark, it wasn't until I took it outside that I could even tell that it was green at all. It was darker than any of the samples on their website.
I contacted Susan giving the details. She phoned me back on the same day, asking for photos of what I had received as her daughter had apparently wound and packed it. She said she would take a look and sort it out. The photos were duly supplied and quick as a flash, nothing. Follow up emails, still nothing.
I'm now stuck with 150m of dark green silk I have no use for, having wasted 3 weeks of restoration time. I'm even more miffed as I made an order with Guides and Blanks for some eyes and had I known, I'd have ordered thread at the same time. At worse I'm going to have to pay them for another load of postage and packing.

I'm certainly not going to be using Piper's again. Very poor customer service :Angry:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Paul D
Ferox

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by Paul D » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm

That's a shame Marc, I to have never had a problem with them, rather slow at times granted.
I've got some mid green if needed. :Hat:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Paul D wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm
That's a shame Marc, I to have never had a problem with them, rather slow at times granted.
Thanks. I'm just looking at the alternatives at the moment. I had some Gudebrod green but I've use it all :Cry:

Harry H
Eel

Post by Harry H » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm

MGs wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 pm
Paul D wrote:
Thanks. I'm just looking at the alternatives at the moment. I had some Gudebrod green but I've use it all :Cry:
I have some gudebrod but it's d grade if that's any good to you.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Bobby Marlene
Chub

Post by Bobby Marlene » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm

MG, you can have these. It is dark James green silk. I got these from Peter at Olivers Rods. I can ship thursday but will take a few days from Belgium to UK.
PM and they are yours.
Best, Bobby
ImageImage

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Bobby Marlene wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm
MG, you can have these. It is dark James green silk. I got these from Peter at Olivers Rods. I can ship thursday but will take a few days from Belgium to UK.
PM and they are yours.
Best, Bobby
ImageImage
It looks very much like the stuff I already have and much darker than what I was looking for. Thanks for the offer.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Harry H wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm
MGs wrote:
Paul D wrote:
Harry, thanks. I'm looking for Medium Green, 6779 in Gudebrod I have a feeling 5896 may be as dark as the Piper's but it may be light enough. I don't have the empty spool of what I was using, to compare. Would there be enough for a whole rod, 100m ish?

Harry H
Eel

Post by Harry H » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:13 pm

MGs wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 pm
Harry H wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm
MGs wrote:
Paul D wrote:
Harry, thanks. I'm looking for Medium Green, 6779 in Gudebrod I have a feeling 5896 may be as dark as the Piper's but it may be light enough. I don't have the empty spool of what I was using, to compare. Would there be enough for a whole rod, 100m ish?
Any good? About 150yards
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Great, PM sent

Gone Fishing
Minnow

Post by Gone Fishing » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Mmh, so far I have had no problems with Pipers. The day before yesterday I have placed another order. Let's see... :Confused:
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”