Piper's Silk

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
User avatar
MGs
Pike
Posts: 6008
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Cornwall

Piper's Silk

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:10 pm

I must admit to being extremely disappointed. I've used Piper's a few times and had no problems at all. The same can't be said at the moment.
I'm in the process of restoring a float rod and fancied a change from my usual garnet, so opted for a mid green. That is where my problems started.
Ten days after I'd placed and paid for the order I got an email to tell me that there would be a delay, as if 10 days wasn't already a delay. Oh well, I thought, worth waiting for what I wanted.
How wrong I was. Just over two weeks after the order, the thread arrived. I opened the pack and immediately thought something was wrong. At first I thought the thread was black. It was so dark, it wasn't until I took it outside that I could even tell that it was green at all. It was darker than any of the samples on their website.
I contacted Susan giving the details. She phoned me back on the same day, asking for photos of what I had received as her daughter had apparently wound and packed it. She said she would take a look and sort it out. The photos were duly supplied and quick as a flash, nothing. Follow up emails, still nothing.
I'm now stuck with 150m of dark green silk I have no use for, having wasted 3 weeks of restoration time. I'm even more miffed as I made an order with Guides and Blanks for some eyes and had I known, I'd have ordered thread at the same time. At worse I'm going to have to pay them for another load of postage and packing.

I'm certainly not going to be using Piper's again. Very poor customer service :Angry:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

User avatar
Paul D
Ferox
Posts: 5442
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by Paul D » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm

That's a shame Marc, I to have never had a problem with them, rather slow at times granted.
I've got some mid green if needed. :Hat:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

User avatar
MGs
Pike
Posts: 6008
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Paul D wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm
That's a shame Marc, I to have never had a problem with them, rather slow at times granted.
I've got some mid green if needed. :Hat:
Thanks. I'm just looking at the alternatives at the moment. I had some Gudebrod green but I've use it all :Cry:
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

User avatar
Harry H
Eel
Posts: 2033
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:04 pm
Location: Rayne, Essex

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by Harry H » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm

MGs wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 pm
Paul D wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm
That's a shame Marc, I to have never had a problem with them, rather slow at times granted.
I've got some mid green if needed. :Hat:
Thanks. I'm just looking at the alternatives at the moment. I had some Gudebrod green but I've use it all :Cry:
I have some gudebrod but it's d grade if that's any good to you.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

User avatar
Bobby Marlene
Chub
Posts: 1096
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by Bobby Marlene » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm

MG, you can have these. It is dark James green silk. I got these from Peter at Olivers Rods. I can ship thursday but will take a few days from Belgium to UK.
PM and they are yours.
Best, Bobby
ImageImage

User avatar
MGs
Pike
Posts: 6008
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Bobby Marlene wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 pm
MG, you can have these. It is dark James green silk. I got these from Peter at Olivers Rods. I can ship thursday but will take a few days from Belgium to UK.
PM and they are yours.
Best, Bobby
ImageImage
It looks very much like the stuff I already have and much darker than what I was looking for. Thanks for the offer.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

User avatar
MGs
Pike
Posts: 6008
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Harry H wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm
MGs wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 pm
Paul D wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm
That's a shame Marc, I to have never had a problem with them, rather slow at times granted.
I've got some mid green if needed. :Hat:
Thanks. I'm just looking at the alternatives at the moment. I had some Gudebrod green but I've use it all :Cry:
I have some gudebrod but it's d grade if that's any good to you.
Harry, thanks. I'm looking for Medium Green, 6779 in Gudebrod I have a feeling 5896 may be as dark as the Piper's but it may be light enough. I don't have the empty spool of what I was using, to compare. Would there be enough for a whole rod, 100m ish?
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

User avatar
Harry H
Eel
Posts: 2033
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:04 pm
Location: Rayne, Essex

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by Harry H » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:13 pm

MGs wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 pm
Harry H wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 pm
MGs wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 pm
Paul D wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm
That's a shame Marc, I to have never had a problem with them, rather slow at times granted.
I've got some mid green if needed. :Hat:
Thanks. I'm just looking at the alternatives at the moment. I had some Gudebrod green but I've use it all :Cry:
I have some gudebrod but it's d grade if that's any good to you.
Harry, thanks. I'm looking for Medium Green, 6779 in Gudebrod I have a feeling 5896 may be as dark as the Piper's but it may be light enough. I don't have the empty spool of what I was using, to compare. Would there be enough for a whole rod, 100m ish?
Image
Any good? About 150yards
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

User avatar
MGs
Pike
Posts: 6008
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:24 pm
Location: Cornwall

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by MGs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Great, PM sent
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

User avatar
Gone Fishing
Minnow
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Piper's Silk

Post by Gone Fishing » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Mmh, so far I have had no problems with Pipers. The day before yesterday I have placed another order. Let's see... :Confused:
Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers

Post Reply

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lucky Strike and 2 guests