Rusty rings and patchy varnish - Help!

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Banksy
Grayling

Rusty rings and patchy varnish - Help!

Post by Banksy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:22 pm

My apologies for bombarding you with question after question, Gentlemen, but given the wealth of knowledge and experience of the members of this Forum, it would be foolish not to do so!

I recently acquired a Hardy "The Match Roach Rod", 11 feet in length, 3 piece, whole cane butt and middle, whole cane / split cane tip.

I have simply cleaned the ferrules, and fit is perfect and the rod is ruler straight with very little droop. The cane appears to be sound.
It is the lightest, best balanced cane rod I have handled, and I love it.

The rings are corroded. There is no sign of chrome, so I winder of they may have been bronzed originally?
Will they clean up, perhaps with with wire wool, without removing them from the rod?
Or am I simply inviting a swift attack of rust?
I have run a line through them, and it grates horribly. The rod does have a beautiful action.

Also, the varnish is flaking off in parts, so presumably the cane would be unprotected and liable to damage if I allowed it to get wet?

If this was a run-of-the-mill unnamed cane rod, I would have a go at refurbishing it myself.
However, this rod is special to me.
Could anyone please give me an indication as to how much it might cost to have it expertly restored and fitted with new rings?

Beresford
Zander

Re: Rusty rings and patchy varnish - Help!

Post by Beresford » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:42 pm

I think you are definitely right to replace the rings. I had a rod restored last year and I tried to renovate the rings by polishing them and having them rechromed. In the end I decided that it was best to replace them.

Based on my experience I think you'd be looking at £150 – £250 depending on who you choose.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Crucian
Arctic Char

Post by Crucian » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:01 pm

Nice rod, but I'm sure the 'Whole cane' is actually Spanish reed...I could be wrong of course, and usually am.

Wallys-Cast
Zander

Post by Wallys-Cast » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:18 pm

The rings look to have been blued originally, similar to the early steel snake rings. I think the nearest to original may have to be black, high bells life ones.

As Crucian has said, the rod looks to be made from Reed rather than whole cane.
The catalogue says it's built from a tough light-weight bamboo with a palakona tip but those deeply waisted nodes say reed to me. Reed is a kind of bamboo I suppose, they are all types of grass after all.

I agree with Beresford that a full strip and restore job would be around £150.00 including rings etc. It would however look like new once done which isn't everybody's cup of tea where vintage rods are concerned, it's worth bearing that in mind.

Wal.

Banksy
Grayling

Post by Banksy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:02 pm

Thank you all for your replies. :Hat:

To be honest, I have never come across Spanish Reed before, and for some reason always assumed that it was an inferior material, reserved for the cheapest rods. So much to learn.

I appreciate what you say about making the rod look new out of character and too perfect, Wal.

With that in mind, I may concentrate first on the "Ace"rod, to bring that back to a useable state.

Then, having had more practice on those fiddly intermediate whippings, move on to the Hardy, taking my time over it.

I would normally go for an "A" grade thread, but the original (?) whipping thread on the Hardy appears to be more coarse.
So perhaps a "D" grade thread would be more suitable, and easier on my fingers?

It looks like I shall be spending a fair bit of time tucked up in my fishing den. With the rain presently lashing across the windows, that is a very pleasant prospect.
:Wink:

Wallys-Cast
Zander

Post by Wallys-Cast » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:45 pm

Yes, D grade for the rings, ferrules and nodes is fine for Hardy course rods, it help them from becomming too see through as well. I always use A grade for the intermediates though, they look nicer if kept as fine as possible.

Wal.

Banksy
Grayling

Post by Banksy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:04 pm

I should have mentioned this earlier, but the top reel sleeve is stamped with the number G18529, which I am hoping may indicate the date of manufacture.
I have done a bit of research, and there appears to be some confusion about the G prefix, some suggesting that it indicates a mix of materials used in the rod, which in this case is correct.
Whole cane (or Spanish Reed) butt and middle, plus about 15" of the tip, then split cane for the rest of the tip.

Can anyone please help me to pinpoint the date more accurately?
Thanks.

:Thumb:

Barbelseeker
Silver Bream

Post by Barbelseeker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Seek and you may find - as you state some confusion. The following table may indicate a 1937 but not sure;
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 69&t=21112

Banksy
Grayling

Post by Banksy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:28 pm

Barbelseeker wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm
Seek and you may find - as you state some confusion. The following table may indicate a 1937 but not sure;
Thanks Peter, that does look very interesting, and would make the rod over 80 years old, which would tie up with the dates I was given by the chap who passed it on to me.
Amazing that the rod appears basically to be in such good condition.
:Thumb: :Hat:

Banksy
Grayling

Post by Banksy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:37 pm

Banksy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:28 pm
Barbelseeker wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm
Thanks Peter, that does look very interesting, and would make the rod over 80 years old, which would tie up with the dates I was given by the chap who passed it on to me.
Amazing that the rod appears basically to be in such good condition.

And with that in mind, I think a professional, expert refurbishment is on the cards.
:Thumb: :Hat:

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”