Gorilla glue

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
OldAngler
Bleak

Gorilla glue

Post by OldAngler » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:30 pm

I am a newcomer to Gorilla glue, having ben a fan of Araldite for years.

I understand that Gorilla glue is good for repairing /re-glueing a split cane section which has split / delaminated. Am I correct?

I plan to repair a broken split cane section with a 'staggered splice' (the ends of the cane cut at different lengths and then matched to the other part of the broken section), which I have done several times before but using different glue. I note that Gorilla glue is activated by contact with water. If I hold open the ends of the cane with cocktail sticks, spray lightly with water, and then apply the glue using the tip of a very thin knife would that work?

Do I need to remove the excess glue immediately or can it be scraped off when set?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Old Angler

Barbelseeker
Silver Bream

Re: Gorilla glue

Post by Barbelseeker » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:42 pm

There should be enough moisture in the cane to activate the glue but if using brown glue be careful (it can be a bugger) to get off knifes and other items - I often use both the white and brown (waterproof). Not used it on rods but on general woodwork - make sure that you bind it tightly as it will force it apart. You will then find it has soaked into what it was bound with. Knowing the speed of technology suggest that you check against all the "gorilla" glues which may be the best. No doubt many more experienced TTF's will give better and more detailed information.

Wallys-Cast
Sea Trout

Post by Wallys-Cast » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:59 pm

To be honest OldAngler, I would give it a miss for repairs such as yours and use weatherproof PVA or a powdered resin glue. Pu glue is quite good for general woodwork but mainly used for its gap filling properties and you wont have any gaps.

If you do decide to go with the Pu glue then yes it can be removed by scraping but it leaves a stain in the outer fibres which darkens with age so it means removing a fine surface layer to clean it off completely. It can be removed while still sticky with cellulose thinners but this is likely to weep into the joint and weaken it.

Wal.

Fredline
Grayling

Post by Fredline » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Personally, any glue that expands up to 4 times its original size should be kept well away from any cane sections.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:16 am

It can work well but you have to be very careful with it. Because of the expansion, you have to tape and bind anything very securely before the glue goes off. Otherwise you can cause more damage than you mend.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Dave Burr
Wild Carp

Post by Dave Burr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:25 am

And for God's sake, don't get it on the new kitchen work tops!!!!! :doh:

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:47 am

Having used gorilla glue at work, furniture restoration , as well as making and restoring cane rods I would use epoxy for that type of repair.
Gorilla glue has its uses but for what your doing I would use something else.

Paul D
Ferox

Post by Paul D » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:44 am

Match Aerial wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:47 am
Having used gorilla glue at work, furniture restoration , as well as making and restoring cane rods I would use epoxy for that type of repair.
Gorilla glue has its uses but for what your doing I would use something else.
I agree Sir, it's wonderfull stuff but not for "our" application's
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

OldAngler
Bleak

Post by OldAngler » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Gentlmen,

Thank you so much! I shall NOT use the Gorilla glue for this job. I shall use the same glue which I have used previously.

As the rod repair is for a friend you have saved me a great deal of embarressment and difficult explaining!!!!!!

Thanks again, Old Angler

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:56 pm

theres a new clear gorilla glue ,non foaming ,might be a better choice than the brown ,its new so might not be as wide spread in outlets gorilla clear .I've yet to get some too try I have a delaminated rod to do next year so will pick some up soon too try .

I have used the brown too glue up a delaminated section ,it worked ok ,its very messy stuff though ,it has other uses too it can give a blank a hard laminate surface ,rub it in dry (no bare fingers) via a piece of paper just keep rubbing in until its all covered ,then leave too dry .puts a hard skin onto the cane to help prevent scratches etc
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”