Gorilla glue

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Gorilla glue

Post by Match Aerial » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 am

Not seen that one chav
Just wondering being clear if its just a form of pva wood glue.
The gorilla yellow glue I have used quite a bit its just like titbond original. Theres is even a gorilla superglue now lol.

Ljm183
Tench

Post by Ljm183 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 pm

I used Gorilla Glue on a ferrule once during the summer. The rod was used a few times with no problems, then one cold day the following winter the ferrule came off when pulling the sections apart. The glue had shrunk, That was last time i used Gorilla Glue for any repairs on rods.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Interesting video testing wood glues.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_vIszsybR4M&t=919s

Stalker58
Stickleback

Post by Stalker58 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:10 pm

Have a look at Endfest 300 glue.been using it for rods for 5 years now,brilliant stuff

Silfield
Minnow

Post by Silfield » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:36 pm

I have just repaired a 5" full delamination to the mid section of my Octafloat D/L with the brown Gorilla glue and it looks quite an impressive mend but blimey is it messy to apply! Once it had foamed and hardened it wasn't as daunting a task to remove the residue at it initially looked. I haven't yet replaced the intermediate whippings or the ferrule silk but the repair seems have dried without putting any kinks in the blank and appears to be strong. Will let you know if anything untowards happens when it is put to the test.
As a footnote, I bound the delaminated section with small tie wraps (30!) as I was weary of the cane sections being swelled apart by the glue- the foam did its thing and covered the tie wraps to such an extent that I thought that I would never be able to get them off (well not without a real fight) but splitting with some flush cutting snips close to the head of the tie wrap they came off easily and took most of the excess over spill off with them.
So far so good - I hope I haven't spoken too soon!

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”