Line weight for fly rod

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
OldAngler
Bleak

Line weight for fly rod

Post by OldAngler » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Is there a way to find the correct line weight for a fly rod whilst it is still 'in progress' in the workshop?

I am currrently renovating a fly rod which I guess is about a 5 weight. It came to me in a sorry state with some eyes missing and much of the transfer missing, where the old AFTM number might have been. When it is finished I know I can try casting with different line weights to find one which 'feels right,' but as I would like to write the correct line weight on the butt before I varnish, that is not really an option.

Is there any link between the test curve and line weight? What other methods or formulae can be used?

Many thanks in advance.

Nigel Rainton
Tench

Re: Line weight for fly rod

Post by Nigel Rainton » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:10 pm

The short answer is 'no'. There are too many variables. Length, taper, weight of the rod might give you a clue but you won't know until you cast a line. If you know the makers name and post details of the rod on here, somebody may have a catalogue that will tell you the AFTM rating.

CrayCane
Crucian Carp

Post by CrayCane » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:56 pm

You could perhaps, tape some rings to the rod and 'lawn cast' it to give you some idea of the line weight.

Pete

Beresford
Zander

Post by Beresford » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:00 pm

It also depends how much line you typically want to cast. If fishing a very short line you may find going up in weight loads the rod better. I think the AFTM ratings are based on the first 30' of the taper.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:35 pm

In short no you would really have to try it out and see which works best.
A good rod maker would be able to tell you just by giving it a wiggle ,or measuring the rod and running it through a stress program like hexrod.
I would start with a 5 weight and see how it feels,if it feels to stiff or flexing too deep change the line to correspond with your ideal.
Always a good idea to write on the blank dt5 or whatever.

OldAngler
Bleak

Post by OldAngler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:21 pm

I tried www.Sussex Trout Fishing but could not find any info.

Forgot to mention the rod is (possibly) 'The Prince' but on the transfer I can only see ' RINCE.' It was definately made by Lee of Redditch, thast part is clear. It is a two piece, 9½ feet long.

Rutland Rod
Chub

Post by Rutland Rod » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:50 pm

All excellent hands on advice as usual from everyone, I’m not a brilliant caster but as you all say there are so many variables including that older cane rods were used with silk lines and I reckon the size of the rings their material and spacings has an effect on the rods action and how it loads a fly line, and not least that fly lines of the same weight and type of taper can differ.

OldAngler
Bleak

Post by OldAngler » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:54 pm

Thank you. It seems as though I may have a Lee 'Black Prince.' I can take it from there.

Once again, thanks for your help nd advice.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”