Hardy rod butt cap

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Banksy
Grayling

Hardy rod butt cap

Post by Banksy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 pm

The rod is a Hardy Bros Ltd "The Match Roach Rod", which I was recently given.

I intend to have this rod restored, but am unsure about the butt cap, which is just a nicely fitted aluminium cap, attached by a screw.

The number stamped on one of the brass reel handle rings suggests a date of 1937 for the rod, but should it have a matching brass butt cap and rubber button, with that same number stamped on it?

It is the lightest and most nicely balanced cane rod I have ever handled, and I want to do it justice.

Can anyone advise, please?

Old Man River
Perch

Re: Hardy rod butt cap

Post by Old Man River » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:59 pm

I am not sure if the butt "cap " is original, but I do have a couple of brass butt fittings that are close to the reel bands as below.

If you would like one just PM me your address saying which one you want, and I will pop one in the post.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

AllRounder
Perch

Post by AllRounder » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:24 am

The 1939 Hardy catalogue describes a domed butt cap which is unusual for Hardy. Perhaps you have the original as intended.

Kevin

Wallys-Cast
Zander

Post by Wallys-Cast » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:56 am

It does look original and could well be internally weighted to help balance the rod. A very nice gift by the way.

Wal.

Banksy
Grayling

Post by Banksy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 am

Thank you for your kind offer, OMR! :Hat:
Either of those brass butt caps looks as though it would match the other brass fittings perfectly.

I was about to take up your offer when I read the post by Allrounder, which is very useful.
It's hard to see, but the small metal butt cap in the illustration certainly looks like that on my rod.
There is definitely no brass butt cap or rubber button.
This might also explain why the serial number G18529 is stamped on the reel band, rather than on the butt cap where
one might expect to find it.

I am convinced that my brass reel bands are original, although the 1939 illustration shows a fixed lower reel fitting.
Interesting too, to see the reel position much lower on the handle than I would normally have it.

I am delighted to have found this forum, it is a true mine of traditional angling information.

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:31 pm

That is the correct one, my rod is the same, I guess done to keep the weight down

Banksy
Grayling

Post by Banksy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:41 pm

Paul F wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:31 pm
That is the correct one, my rod is the same, I guess done to keep the weight down

That's great, thanks Paul!

Interesting also to see that clear centre in the tip ring, as mine is exactly the same. The butt ring also has a clear centre.

I was intending to swap them both for agate centred rings, as described in Allrounder's 1939 catalogue, but I shall certainly get them cleaned up and keep them, now.

Why is it that butt rings and tip rings seem to outlive all the other rings, every time?

Banksy
Grayling

Post by Banksy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Banksy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:41 pm
Paul F wrote:

May I ask, what is the serial number on your rod?

Interesting also to see that clear centre in the tip ring, as mine is exactly the same. The butt ring also has a clear centre.

I was intending to swap them both for agate centred rings, as described in Allrounder's 1939 catalogue, but I shall certainly get them cleaned up and keep them, now.

Why is it that butt rings and tip rings seem to outlive all the other rings, every time?

Paul F
Tench

Post by Paul F » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:18 pm

Banksy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:42 pm
Banksy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:41 pm
Paul F wrote:

May I ask, what is the serial number on your rod?

G15584, which dates it to 1936
yes you must keep to orignal lined rings, they are rare as rocking horse doo doo.

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”