Refurbishing Uncle Len's 8ft fibreglass spinning rod. (Revisited)

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Tonytoned
Crucian Carp

Refurbishing Uncle Len's 8ft fibreglass spinning rod. (Revisited)

Post by Tonytoned » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:16 am

Hello Everyone

Early in my fishing life during the 1970's I was influenced by the characters I've met, one of them was Uncle Len or just Len. He was one of my fishing friends uncle. He used to help bailiff one of the many waters owned by Romsey and District Angling Society, now known as Test Valley Angling Club. He was fairly knowledgeable and great to listen to. Sadly he passed away last year and my friend gave me some of his old fishing tackle.
Rather than cannibalising the rods I though I would refurb most of them. So here is a 8ft Spinning/Pike/Carp rod with a fairly large butt ring to start.

As you can see the brown colour, varnishing and whipping is non to brilliant, almost treacle like.

The large butt ring

I'm going to base the livery the same as this Jim Gibbinson - Clooper Carp rod. I love the Green with red wrapping and the off white decals.

"WATCH THIS SPACE"

8th January 2019

The rings are all taken off and prepped ready to go back on, the handle has been cleaned and the old varnish removed ready for painting.

The handle cleaned up well.

Chavender
Eel

Re: Refurbishing Uncle Len's 8ft fibreglass spinning rod. (Revisited)

Post by Chavender » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:01 pm

wow ,great so far .glass is good ,makes a interesting alternative to cane for a bit of retro-traditional angling .I like the green too ,I have a avon rod I've been deliberating painting green after seeing a nice rod on e-bay in green ,like yours mine needs a little tlc and thinking of going green ,so will follow this
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”