Rod delivery prices

Just built or restored a cane rod or need some advise then let us know in here.
Wallys-Cast
Sea Trout

Rod delivery prices

Post by Wallys-Cast » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 am

I have just found that UPS are now adding a further £10.08 handling charge to packages/rod tubes over 1m long so they may no longer be the best option. There was no warning, they just did it overnight.

Royal Mail have a limit of 90cm then it goes over to Parcelforce who will still deliver a rod tube under 1.5m for around £12.00 but if it's over 1.5m then it's classed as large and the bill will be £30.30 or £27.30 if you drop it off at a Parcelforce depot. Start adding insurance and well, you may as well deliver it yourself and make it a day out..
Sending a MKIV Carp or Avon rod for restoration is going to cost over £60.00 before any work or parts are even taken into account.

I have not tried all the others but the ones I did get quotes from were just as expensive and they also limit the length to 1m or 1.2m which doesn't really cover that many rods when you add some length to take a bit of foam to protect the ends.

Wal.

Barbulus
Eel

Re: Rod delivery prices

Post by Barbulus » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 am

I have a fledgling idea of some form of "hub" storage and transportation business model where Members in differing parts of the country volunteer to take receipt of rod(s) from folk passing nearby and then others take them on to the - closer - "final" destination. Most of us I suspect - no survey results so a bit speculative admittedly - but I suspect most of us travel a reasonable amount around the UK. So, a rod from the West Country - say Cornwall - is going to say Nottingham and is staged up thru the country. I'll look after it in Devon for a week then when I travel upto Bath I'll drop it off at a member's location there and so on ........... I think I'll go and lie down now .......

Pallenpool
Crucian Carp

Post by Pallenpool » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:33 am

Barbulus wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 am
I have a fledgling idea of some form of "hub" storage and transportation business model where Members in differing parts of the country volunteer to take receipt of rod(s) from folk passing nearby and then others take them on to the - closer - "final" destination. Most of us I suspect - no survey results so a bit speculative admittedly - but I suspect most of us travel a reasonable amount around the UK. So, a rod from the West Country - say Cornwall - is going to say Nottingham and is staged up thru the country. I'll look after it in Devon for a week then when I travel upto Bath I'll drop it off at a member's location there and so on ........... I think I'll go and lie down now .......
That may have some legs - will be interesting to hear what others say.

Liphook
Grayling

Post by Liphook » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am

A useful sounding idea!

Wallys-Cast
Sea Trout

Post by Wallys-Cast » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 am

I found this in my search and I think it could very well be the answer, all we need is a long pipe.
https://hyperloop-one.com/

Wal.

Pallenpool
Crucian Carp

Post by Pallenpool » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Wallys-Cast wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:46 am
I found this in my search and I think it could very well be the answer, all we need is a long pipe.
https://hyperloop-one.com/

Wal.
Wal That is really out there - 600 mph in a vacuum - blimey - I think we should all club together and beat Mr Branson to the finishing line.

Olly
Ferox

Post by Olly » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Rather like the "friction less magnetic train"!

Old Man River
Grayling

Post by Old Man River » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:07 pm

This is quite a good idea Barbulus, I myself would prefer to trust delivery via forum members , some couriers are not very careful as to how they handle rod tubes at all, although I have found UPS to be quite reliable, now it looks as though they are pricing themselves out of the market.

If such a scheme could be worked, tracking could be also worked out via forum PM"s.so both sender/reciever would know of the parcels location.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:14 pm

Long since given up sending or buying rods which can't be collected by either party. Too many previous hassles and ever increasing prices.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Duebel
Eel

Post by Duebel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Barbulus wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 am
That's a brilliant idea indeed! If ever a rod has to go from southern Germany to the UK, I'm happy to help.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Return to “Cane Rod Building and Restoring”