Fred J. Taylor Bibliography

This forum belongs to Fred J. Taylor.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Fred J. Taylor Bibliography

Post by Dave Burr »

And I always thought Fred's cooking was good :Happy:

Incidentally, a few days after I was with him he was to take a woman's group (WI or some such) to a local lake where he was going to catch a small carp and prepare it on the bank. I think only Fred could get away with that :Hahaha:

He had a fairly black and white attitude to people didn't he. He was quite candid on his opinion of one or two (still got the tape :Wink: ) but, when I met him again when we did the memorial plaque for Pete Stone, he made up with someone he'd long had something of a feud with. We were sat together and when he returned to our table he was quite emotional and said he'd been a silly old fool for harbouring a grudge all these years. I was an insight into Fred that I felt privileged to have witnessed.

Lousy sausages or not, I'd still love to have camped out with him.

Sandgroper
Bleak

Re: Fred J. Taylor Bibliography

Post by Sandgroper »

Dave Burr wrote:And I always thought Fred's cooking was good :Happy:

Incidentally, a few days after I was with him he was to take a woman's group (WI or some such) to a local lake where he was going to catch a small carp and prepare it on the bank. I think only Fred could get away with that :Hahaha:

He had a fairly black and white attitude to people didn't he. He was quite candid on his opinion of one or two (still got the tape :Wink: ) but, when I met him again when we did the memorial plaque for Pete Stone, he made up with someone he'd long had something of a feud with. We were sat together and when he returned to our table he was quite emotional and said he'd been a silly old fool for harbouring a grudge all these years. I was an insight into Fred that I felt privileged to have witnessed.

Lousy sausages or not, I'd still love to have camped out with him.
The sausages were good, I just love dripping. Fred's cooking was good and I was always happy to have him cooking meals when we were away, I was never into camp cooking - or any other cooking.

You are right, Fred's opinions were rarely ambiguous, and if he didn't like someone he left one in no doubt about how he felt with that person. Mind you, Dick could be the same in that respect and I soon learned that if Dick was very polite to someone we met, that person was far from being his favourite. There was one guy whose name I won't mention who Dick loathed. Whenever we were at shows or functions that guy, who wrote for a local paper, would be fawning around Dick and trying to impress him. He was so rude he would try to cut out the people with Dick. At one show I got in his way a bit and he turned to me and said in a most condescending manner, "And who are you? Did did I write an article about you recently?" I could see that Dick was furious and he said, "no ****, he is well above your league." The guy's attitude changed instantly and he included me in the conversations he tried to strike up. Dick used to say the the guy left a trail of slime everywhere he walked. :Hahaha:

While Fred's cooking was good, much of his wine was simply plonk. I suppose I was a bit biased as I used to make my own and I took a lot of pride in it, I used to polish it to the extent that it had to look just right when the light was shining through it when in a cut glass glass. My results were consistent, but Fred never achieved that consistency in my experience but of course he was getting on in years.

Yes, I know the story of the ill feeling you mention. Both Fred and the other guy were silly. Certainly Fred had good reason to be very annoyed with the guy concerned. Fred didn't forgive easily and the incident occurred at a bad time in his life. He should have been able to expect better as I think that the other party eventually admitted. The trouble is, it took the two of them thirty years to repair a friendship that had been a very close one.
Eagles may soar but I will never get sucked into a jet engine.

Return to “Fred J. Taylor”