Tackle shop Pall Mall

The Nottingham Reels forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Tackle shop Pall Mall

Post by Duckett »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:47 pm Hi , This thread gets better and better for the inquiring mind. Angling Services Ltd is listed in the 1938 Post Office Directory at 33 Duke Street,St James, S.W.1.so which side of this date were they trading at Pall Mall ? Any offers Tony.
May I ask how you accessed the PO Directory?

Cheers,

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Many thanks for your efforts up to date chaps. The reel is in very good condition and spins remarkably well for a wooden starback. I know Chris Sandford had a good look at it and nearly bought it but I suspect he didn't as it had a sticky Slater latch. I just had it apart and cleared the grease and verdigris off the latch and it's now perfect. I'm not sure what the wood is but it's lighter than the other starbacks I have.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Rats! My last post on this thread has disappeared....

Suffice to say SW1 was the correct postal code for this area until 1974 when the current postal codes were finally completed.

I've definitely seen Angling Services tackle before and now we know that they were a limited company ( Ltd.) we can be sure it wasn't the Services ( armed forces) or RAC offering this stuff...so just who was it and how did they get into No.83?, which was:

a/. knocked down by this time, and
b/. part of the RAC extension over the old site?

Interesting to see that the auction linked to above describes the rod as Milward's. You see Milward were just around the corner in St.James...and made a rod called 'The Services'. Indeed the MD continued to use his military title, as he was entitled to do as a Colonel, for many years to come.....

Oh, and Milward offered just such a Slater latch reel.......

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I cannot clearly see the date on the advert above - looks like 183- something? Or is that the page?!!

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

Olly wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:48 am I cannot clearly see the date on the advert above - looks like 183- something? Or is that the page?!!
Sorry about the duff picture, the 183 is the page number the advert is from number 10 edition of angling magazine 1939.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Thanks Harry - clarifies things!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I have an Ogden Smiths "The Warren Hastings Rod" which was retailed by Angling Services Ltd of 83, Pall Mall so I guess they were an upmarket London fishing tackle retailer.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

I have seen this mark before and assumed that, since the RAC was an up market private club, they had arranged a supply of tackle on hand to lend/loan to members.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

StefanDuma
Grayling

Post by StefanDuma »

Can we see the inside of the reel please.

Seeing who made it might be indicate when it was made.

Return to “Nottingham Reels”