Rod and Line, by Arthur Ransome , with Michael Horden

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
LadaMark

Re: Rod and Line, by Arthur Ransome , with Michael Horden

Post by LadaMark »

Here ids the reverse side that states 'The Milbro Made in England'. This reel is set for a left handed person as my father was left handed. I intend to clean and service it at some point and set it for right hand use. The ratchet switch is stuck in the off position at the moment. No idea of the age but it was the reel I remember him using for float fishing when I was a child.

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

I have the book, 1967. Love the opening chapter. On Tackle Shops.

Mr B

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

But what was the rod he was using?

I remember watching this at the time and seeing him wandering around small streams with his fly gear thinking thats what Id like to do with a float rod and travel light, not bother with lots of tackle, keep it simple and ....well thats what i liked about Mr Yates in those articles that he wrote in course fishing that I mentioned on the Heros thread.

I had a 20 0dd year gap, went round the houses and eneded up right back where i started!

but whats the blooming rod....The carp one? When that answered then maybe the holy grail is navigated and i can settle down.....abit!

Sorry too much coffee...too much rain

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

My copy is on its way :)
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Mr B wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:50 pm I have the book, 1967. Love the opening chapter. On Tackle Shops.

Mr B
Commenting on one of my own old posts I have just come across!
I was surfing the internet looking up Michael Hordens fishing tackle, should have looked at TFF first.. shame on me!
I’m watching the series on YouTube again. now fancy the the bakelite real.. I have seen one on the forum along with the T bar... Alcocks Aerialight?
He was using some nice tackle, loved the floppy fly rod and the fly reel. ( Trout fishing)
Must get The DVD.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

The DVD is getting a little scarce at the moment and the prices are quit high,
after two or three attempts I did get a copy off a well none site but had to pay nearly £30.
But worth it.

Fred
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Fred wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:32 pm The DVD is getting a little scarce at the moment and the prices are quit high,
after two or three attempts I did get a copy off a well none site but had to pay nearly £30.
But worth it.

Fred
Yes, it’s one I will get when one comes up..
I have the book and have been watch it again.
Michael Horden dose a grand job of it...
well done for getting that one, one to keep.
Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

I've been watching these again recently. Also that I opened the this thread 9 years ago! I think this TV series is amongst the best ever. I note that on the thread my original question as to the ID of the carp rod was never answered. I'm guessing maybe Chapman 500 ? Any answers?

Michael Horden was such a great actor and a passionate angler ...Does anyone on here know anything more about his angling life. I wonder id all the Tweeds etc where the real deal or just to dramatize the Rod and Line theme ?

Either way can anyone here throw any light on either question.

Oh and where did those 9 years go?

Gobio Gobio
Grayling

Post by Gobio Gobio »

In case anyone missed my post this time last year, I am sharing a lot of audio and video files via my OneDrive.

Rod & Line by Arthur Ransome - Sir Michael Hordern - Video - all 15 episodes - to add to their authenticity I have left them as 15 seperate video files.
Rod & Line by Arthur Ransome - Sir Michael Hordern - Audio - original audio file with original 'cassette' sleeve.

Here are the files
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvTanfRDHuLFgYMRE91Lqw-s1yq_2w

And my original post here on TFF last year
viewtopic.php?f=496&t=31443&p=412585#p412585

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Tench Dreamer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:00 pm I've been watching these again recently. Also that I opened the this thread 9 years ago! I think this TV series is amongst the best ever. I note that on the thread my original question as to the ID of the carp rod was never answered. I'm guessing maybe Chapman 500 ? Any answers?

Michael Horden was such a great actor and a passionate angler ...Does anyone on here know anything more about his angling life. I wonder id all the Tweeds etc where the real deal or just to dramatize the Rod and Line theme ?

Either way can anyone here throw any light on either question.

Oh and where did those 9 years go?
I also queried the identity of the rod a couple of years ago, again with no answers. At the time I thought it may have been a Craftversa? I don't think it's a 500 as the ferrule appears to be central in the length of the blank. I will look at the episode on UTube later to see if there are any more clues.

Return to “Fishing Films”