Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Watched a good traditional fishing DVD lately, why not talk about it in here.
Lucky Strike
Silver Bream

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Lucky Strike » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Anglers corner is my second, followed by catching the impossible. I watched the Michael hordern rod & line episodes recently and found them depressing and joyless. The composer should be shot.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:32 am

It is true that in APFA the two men were talking in squeaky childish voices and in a pretty childish manner.....it does grate a bit, but does it truly matter?
The whole thing was a bit fabricated, don't forget .... I don't believe they had met each other until being recruited for the film, which was intended to be a single episode, but made into a series when the first can of film pleased Hugh so much.

And that's the 'thing' really...Hugh Miles is an extremely accomplished wildlife film maker.

Now who amongst us hasn't been struck speechless by the beauty of nature when out fishing? And Hugh captured that, which is surely why we love it so much. He made a perfect choice in commissioning Jenny Musket for the score too...stunningly beautiful original music.

Neither of the lads were or are actors...and I guess it shows. I might level the same criticism of Magical Waters featuring the late John Searl... the conversations are stilted and jerky, but considering Paul Witcher had only just hung up his overalls and picked up a camera it's pretty impressive stuff really:

https://vimeo.com/38383483

In fact I'd go so far as to say Paul showed the same strain of genius he did with a camera as he had before with a lathe. And old John was quite an angler, wasn't he?

Tweed

Post by Tweed » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:55 pm

I guess that style of film is something you either really like or don't.

Sentimental music over random "wildlife" shots attempt to carry us to a place between the screen, the bankside and our psyche. The trouble starts if you identify that this isn't a path one desires or wishes to tread in that particular way.

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:34 pm

for me i do like mick brown and matt hayes there not very traditional but there great shows

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Jack Hargreaves fishing the Turks Pond is my favourite fishing film ( clip ) ever ...in my opinion

Tweed

Post by Tweed » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:55 am

Des Taylor too, very clear presentation.

I like Jeremy Wade's presentation too.

As to fishing, a lot of fishing films generally, including amateur ones - why they put such a focus on introductory music escapes me? Quite obviously it's going to alienate a percentage of viwers maybe a big percentage.

Return to “Traditional Fishing DVD's”