Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Scott
Tench

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Scott »

Kevin wrote:In his book "the Waterlog Years" Yatesy goes up to Norway a couple of times on the invitation of a film maker.
Has anyone come across any footage of these trips?the stories in the book are brilliant.
I asked the same question on here and got an answer, can't remember what it was now... :Confused:

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

Scott wrote:I think it is safe to say that most of us on here would have APFA as the number one angling film/TV but what would be your number 2? or do you have something you prefer to APFA?

For me my number 2 (and it is only just at number 2) would be Arthur Ransome's Rod and Line with Michael Horden.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arthur-Ransomes ... d+and+line

I particularly like the episode where Mr Horden is fishing the lake district and things aren't going too well. We are then let into the world of the local chap who goes up the small becks with a worm and gets a bag full for the pot...

So, what say you chaps?
I'd say this would be my personal number one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ivvqmRKt4

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I dunno..that was a bit of a sad old tale. Living alone in a shack with no water or electricity...giving away flies that change hands for hundreds now.....

Perhaps she preferred to be alone, but I just wish she had found someone to share her life with.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

The story about her life was a good one I thought,worth telling, I enjoyed it,even though it was made the American way. One story about Megan was she got a letter asking her to come down to London to be awarded an honour in the Queens honours thingy,obe mbe I cant remember which..
Megan wrote back saying she was sorry but she couldn't come down because there was nobody to look after the dog.
People that knew her talking about her,without the words spoken by Kevin Costner were the best I thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef8CYgxv0MU

My pitch to Hugh Miles, would be, Dear Hugh
please make a film, on game angling with Tom Fort..

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Rod and Line was good remember watching it around 1984 .. there's coarse fishing in it too . And Michael is a angler who loved the fun of fishing along with its highs and lows ..I wish there was some good footage of the fishermen of the lea and canals .1930 to 1970

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The full programme was on TV some time this year...I don't recall Kevin Costner's voice, but they did tell the tale of the declined honour.

You can find her old cottage with Google Earth...and just make it out with Streetview.

A touch braw for me...no heating!!!

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Watched some of Rod and line again ..An adaptation of book from another age ( 1929) .. Made in mid 1980s . I guess michael horden fished like this and he wasn't dressed up . Other anglers in it are of their time .. Very enjoyable

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Nobby wrote:The full programme was on TV some time this year...I don't recall Kevin Costner's voice, but they did tell the tale of the declined honour.

You can find her old cottage with Google Earth...and just make it out with Streetview.

A touch braw for me...no heating!!!
I may have fabricated the Kevin Costner bit,the voice over guy,(troy Mclur from the Simpsons).
Have you seen The Lost World of mr Hardy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scSn3tjqi-0

Tweed

Post by Tweed »

Firebird wrote:From the trailer that film strikes me as over-romanticised.
Over romanticised? That's quite interesting in the context of A Passion for Angling.

Overly arty perhaps.

I find the ambience of LWMH and Kiss the Water and most game fishing films quite soothing, whereas some of the more coarse orientations set my teeth on edge. Great macro lenses, but Elgaresqe sound tracks and pompous voice overs, not for me really.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

The Abu story is a nice one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSVjYBSrL68

Return to “Fishing Films”