Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Mark »

OldTackle wrote:Thank you for letting me know, Mark. It is ordered. :tea:

Fishing with the experts for the secret carp. I hope I ordered the correct one?
That's the one. :Thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Teifi Terror
Minnow

Post by Teifi Terror »

For me a place of complete contentment. I could watch TSC over and over again. I am youth officer for an angling club and use this as a tutorial for youngsters coming into our sport. No other film shows how important being quite and observant is.
Teifi Terror

Alone but not lonely, "

Moc Morgan OBE

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mark wrote:

For me, the best dvd that Chris Yates has to offer is Caught In Time http://www.passionforangling.info/caugh ... 0time.html It was filmed post Passion For Angling but continues on similar lines, the filming and action is excellent.

Rockland
Minnow

Post by Rockland »

Who remembers " Angling today " i think it was from the early 1970s introduced by Terry Thomas who was a right larger than life character Remember the classic footage of the Birmingham lads float fishing the Severn with the likes of Ken Giles, Clive Smith and Barry Brookes classic stuff and heroes for a young angler at the time

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Rockland wrote:Who remembers " Angling today " i think it was from the early 1970s introduced by Terry Thomas who was a right larger than life character Remember the classic footage of the Birmingham lads float fishing the Severn with the likes of Ken Giles, Clive Smith and Barry Brookes classic stuff and heroes for a young angler at the time
I looked forward to watching it, after the six o'clock news if I remember it.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

This was the same Terry Thomas who designed the Swimversa and Craftversa rods for Milwards. Both were based on a spinning rod, the Spinversa, originally designed just for the Milwards board of Directors on their annual game fishing holidays. I'm uncertain if Terry was the original designer of the reverse taper butt idea but it seems most likely as he was granted a European Patent on the idea.

I'm told that one of his co-presenters on Angling Today was a very young, pre Tiswas, Chris Tarrant.

When Milwards dropped the fishing tackle making around 1966 Terry transferred over to Edgar Sealey where he ran a 'board' of other experts to promote the range of rods. I suspect he also got involved in design too as he introduced some tip tapered rod and more importantly some 'staggered ferrule rods', which had rod sections of different lengths. As far as I'm aware only Milwards had offered these SFR's before.

One episode of Angling Today apparently saw Terry's fishing companion catch a surprise salmon out of season followed by Terry burning through the line with his cigar muttering something about being unsporting.......... :laugh:

a

Flickem
Minnow

Post by Flickem »

Aquaerial wrote:This also has excellent qualities -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDFDO46kptc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4b63VVG68

Andy Orme's contribution has a surreal quality to it that we all will recognise at some point
Absolutely loved Secret Lake. I remember seeing it when it was first broadcast on telly. Brilliant stuff.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Dave Burr wrote:
Mark wrote:

For me, the best dvd that Chris Yates has to offer is Caught In Time http://www.passionforangling.info/caugh ... 0time.html It was filmed post Passion For Angling but continues on similar lines, the filming and action is excellent.
I also really like 'Caught in time ' - its great to see him fishing at 'Jade lake ' as its there that he is fishing when he writes 'the secret carp' . It also includes the filming of the largest carp he has caught while being filmed ( I think ....... ) at 27lbs .
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

In his book "the Waterlog Years" Yatesy goes up to Norway a couple of times on the invitation of a film maker.
Has anyone come across any footage of these trips?the stories in the book are brilliant.

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Great question! I forgot about that. Greatly interested as well!

Return to “Fishing Films”