Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Watched a good traditional fishing DVD lately, why not talk about it in here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Julian
Salmon
Posts: 7389
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: North Buckinghamshire

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Julian » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Magical Waters with John Searl.
A real mixture of vintage and modern tackle , but very traditional with most of the approach to fishing.
The barbel fishing on that very beautiful stretch of the Hampshire Avon is superb, as are most of the scenes on this wonderfully filmed video.
However for me the best section of all is when he is fishing at a beautiful remote pool for wild carp with an old MKIV and Mitchell and catches a stunning dark old carp.
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

User avatar
JerryC
Crucian Carp
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:07 am
Location: Nene Valley

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by JerryC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:12 am

Julian wrote:I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Magical Waters with John Searl.
A real mixture of vintage and modern tackle , but very traditional with most of the approach to fishing.
The barbel fishing on that very beautiful stretch of the Hampshire Avon is superb, as are most of the scenes on this wonderfully filmed video.
However for me the best section of all is when he is fishing at a beautiful remote pool for wild carp with an old MKIV and Mitchell and catches a stunning dark old carp.
Mentioned on the previous page Julian, I also found it most enjoyable...
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

User avatar
Julian
Salmon
Posts: 7389
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:42 pm
Location: North Buckinghamshire

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Julian » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:53 am

JerryC wrote:
Julian wrote:I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Magical Waters with John Searl.
A real mixture of vintage and modern tackle , but very traditional with most of the approach to fishing.
The barbel fishing on that very beautiful stretch of the Hampshire Avon is superb, as are most of the scenes on this wonderfully filmed video.
However for me the best section of all is when he is fishing at a beautiful remote pool for wild carp with an old MKIV and Mitchell and catches a stunning dark old carp.
Mentioned on the previous page Julian, I also found it most enjoyable...
Apologies Jerry, I read through the whole post again just before I posted that but somehow missed it- probably too many shandys :Hahaha:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

User avatar
Ljm183
Tench
Posts: 2887
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:34 pm
Location: Aveley, Essex

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Ljm183 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Fishing With the Experts - for the Secret Carp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... dKtDCFC0rk

WindJammer

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by WindJammer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Deleted because Dhaun Harrison posted it two doors down! :Tongue:

User avatar
Hamburger
Rudd
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:27 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Hamburger » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:06 pm

I almost forgot James Prosek's beautiful Izaak Walton documentary:

I said goodbye to what I knew and embraced the ways of old, with it taking on the attitude that big isn't best.

Stuart Harris, 'From Carbon to Cane'

User avatar
Teifi Terror
Minnow
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Teifi Terror » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:26 am

It has to be The secret carp with Christopher Yates. Takes me to a different plateau every time. Wonderful.
Teifi Terror

Alone but not lonely, "

Moc Morgan OBE

User avatar
OldTackle
Arctic Char
Posts: 1655
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:40 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by OldTackle » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:44 am

Teifi Terror wrote:It has to be The secret carp with Christopher Yates. Takes me to a different plateau every time. Wonderful.
May I ask what exactly is meant by that please, Sir?
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

User avatar
Aquaerial
Chub
Posts: 1037
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Aquaerial » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:18 am

This also has excellent qualities -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDFDO46kptc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4b63VVG68

Andy Orme's contribution has a surreal quality to it that we all will recognise at some point
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

User avatar
Mark
Head Bailiff
Posts: 18041
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Leicestershire
Contact:

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Mark » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:37 am

OldTackle wrote:
Teifi Terror wrote:It has to be The secret carp with Christopher Yates. Takes me to a different plateau every time. Wonderful.
May I ask what exactly is meant by that please, Sir?
There is a DVD you can purchse called 'The Secret Carp' with Chris Yates.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Post Reply

Return to “Traditional Fishing DVD's”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests