Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Watched a good traditional fishing DVD lately, why not talk about it in here.
Kevin
Chub

Re: Rivals to A Passion for Angling?

Post by Kevin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Nobby wrote:The full programme was on TV some time this year...I don't recall Kevin Costner's voice, but they did tell the tale of the declined honour.

You can find her old cottage with Google Earth...and just make it out with Streetview.

A touch braw for me...no heating!!!
I may have fabricated the Kevin Costner bit,the voice over guy,(troy Mclur from the Simpsons).
Have you seen The Lost World of mr Hardy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scSn3tjqi-0

Tweed

Post by Tweed » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:08 pm

Firebird wrote:From the trailer that film strikes me as over-romanticised.
Over romanticised? That's quite interesting in the context of A Passion for Angling.

Overly arty perhaps.

I find the ambience of LWMH and Kiss the Water and most game fishing films quite soothing, whereas some of the more coarse orientations set my teeth on edge. Great macro lenses, but Elgaresqe sound tracks and pompous voice overs, not for me really.

Firebird
Arctic Char

Post by Firebird » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Maybe call it overblown narrative, too much false emotion - that's what I mean. Passion could be irritatingly boyish at times but the photography was often lovely. I don't think it was particularly romantic.

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:06 pm

The Abu story is a nice one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSVjYBSrL68

The Sweetcorn Kid
Bailiff

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:03 pm

Don't think anything as yet comes close to A Passion. Nothing makes you want to grab a rod and go a-angling as much.
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Paul D
Ferox

Post by Paul D » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:40 pm

The Sweetcorn Kid wrote:Don't think anything as yet comes close to A Passion. Nothing makes you want to grab a rod and go a-angling as much.
Well said Stu, couldn't agree more :Hat:
" I have no intention of changing my habits and fully intend to become even more weird as I age."
The Old Buffer

RBTraditional
Rainbow Trout

Post by RBTraditional » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:05 pm

Irritatingly boyish???? Surely reliving ones youth is what it's all about.....well it is for me, the only adult thing I do is go to the pub afterwards.....which is exactly where I am now.
"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

Firebird
Arctic Char

Post by Firebird » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:25 pm

RBTraditional wrote:Irritatingly boyish???? Surely reliving ones youth is what it's all about.....well it is for me, the only adult thing I do is go to the pub afterwards.....which is exactly where I am now.
I don't think fishing is about reliving youth. I just found it a little irritating and put on, that's all. Just my response. Still liked the programmes though, but have not seen for many years.

RBTraditional
Rainbow Trout

Post by RBTraditional » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Well we will have to bid to differ there because going fishing for me is the one thing that keeps one foot back in my youth. When I fish I have not a care in the world and every day is different, every swim a new challenge full of opportunity even though I may have fished it a hundered times before. I fish evey week, sometimes twice a week and I still can't sleep properly the night before I go.....APFA summed up competley for me why we fish.....
"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

AshbyCut
Honorary Vice President

Post by AshbyCut » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:29 pm

RBTraditional wrote:Well we will have to beg to differ there because going fishing for me is the one thing that keeps one foot back in my youth. When I fish I have not a care in the world and every day is different, every swim a new challenge full of opportunity even though I may have fished it a hundred times before. I fish every week, sometimes twice a week and I still can't sleep properly the night before I go.....APFA summed up completely for me why we fish.....
Nicely put and well said, Sir. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

http://www.AshbyCut.com

Return to “Traditional Fishing DVD's”