Casting For gold

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: Casting For gold

Post by Snape »

I, for one, have followed your postings on other forums with interest and often amusement, Paul, and look forward to your involvement here (I know you are never one to hold back on thoughts and opinions); thankfully there seems to be an overall lack of flak coming from any direction as this has to be just about the most civilised and polite fishing forums on the web (along with Redmire!). :D
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Paul Boote wrote:The posting of mine above might have had a few of you chaps scratching your heads
It did account for a few splinters in my finger tips Paul. :think:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Anyone who references Carry on films in their posts is fine by me Paul, grew up watching them all the time. :chuckle:

Looking forward to reading your contributions to the forum. :thumb:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Ditto the above for anyone who references Mark Twain.

Interesting to see the actual piece of paper, Paul. That often seems to be incorrectly quoted that statement.

And yes, the term "Internet Troll Magnet" could have been coined for Mr B.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

I don't know Mr Boote but I am impressed that a paperback edition of "Somewhere Down the Crazy River" is available via Amazon for a mere £1,184.53 + £2.80delivery. Perhaps he has some spare authors' copies in the loft.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

dgc2011 wrote:I don't know Mr Boote but I am impressed that a paperback edition of "Somewhere Down the Crazy River" is available via Amazon for a mere £1,184.53 + £2.80delivery. Perhaps he has some spare authors' copies in the loft.
I'm very keen to read it.
One went recently on ebay for £122. Sadly I recall PB posting elsewhere that he has now sold off his remaining author's copies :( Maybe he can confirm. Must be time for a re-print.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Paul Boote wrote:Well, what should it be...?

Carry On Cleo?

http://youtu.be/kvs4bOMv5Xw

Or what Mark Twain actually said (wrote) in May 1897 about reports of his own demise?

Mark Twain...The man who brought us Huckleberry Finn, need we say anymore.

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Snape wrote:
dgc2011 wrote:I don't know Mr Boote but I am impressed that a paperback edition of "Somewhere Down the Crazy River" is available via Amazon for a mere £1,184.53 + £2.80delivery. Perhaps he has some spare authors' copies in the loft.
I'm very keen to read it.
One went recently on ebay for £122. Sadly I recall PB posting elsewhere that he has now sold off his remaining author's copies :( Maybe he can confirm. Must be time for a re-print.
I've seen good HB versions get over two hundred. And then there was the Mullocks lot that included a set of phyrangeals from a mahseer that got over four, iirc. There was some dreamer offering a soft back of SDTCR on eBay.com for several hundred buy it now. I think you chaps may have missed the boat: Paul had several "last knockings" that came his way but they've probably all been sold now.

The book is an absolute belter though and one of the few that I would consider breaking one of my life rules of never reading a book twice.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I just finished watching Casting for Gold which Paul sent me and I highly recommend it. :D
It turns out I was in some of the same places when they were filming! My wife and I spent 3 months back packing around Northern India Aug - Oct 1989. We were staying on Lake Nagin and in Srinagar in Aug and early Sept. I was transported straight back and loved it.
We ventured off the beaten track (further North from where Paul filmed) to a place called Athawatoo and stayed in a fishing lodge and fished some of the streams with a small telescopic rod and worms. All we caught were local Kashmiri 'trout'. We caught enough Kashmiri fish to eat them and took them back to the lodge and handed them over. At dinner we were served a load of heads and tails. I guess the staff ate all the good bits!
I love India and have yearned to return for over 20 years - today more than ever. Its our 25th wedding anniversary next year so maybe I'm hatching a plan. Lake Nagin is calling..... :sun:

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Paul Boote wrote:I had better add a postscript to the above, or otherwise Kashmir might see Destination Heroes and Media Monsters International descending on it, demanding instant carp and to be put into "Nothing but the best swims, Ali. Yeah, and bring me a crate of Kingfisher...".

The average weight of Nagin and Dal Lake mirrors (and their fewer commons) is mere ounces, my fifteen-pounder beating my previous "personal best" [yuk] by a good eleven pounds.

I would also say that Kashmir is still a very troubled region. And a Muslim one, too, with the possibility that a few of its younger, hot-headed inhabitants taking extreme exception to groups of shaven-headed stoned and boozed-up carping Brits.
It's sounding better all the time!

Return to “Fishing Films”