Fly Fishing without droppers, reduce tangles

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Wet Feet Pete
Gudgeon

Fly Fishing without droppers, reduce tangles

Post by Wet Feet Pete »

Not a new video, it is 3 years old, but a very good way to avoid tangles on droppers when fishing a team of flies for trout, grayling and coarse fish. It works very well and is quick to set up.

http://youtu.be/POdPndJ9FGE

:Thumb:

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Fly Fishing without droppers, reduce tangles

Post by Beresford »

Interesting. I've seen another variation of the same principle where the nylon is tied to the bend of each hook in turn.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I found this some time ago whilst looking for "North Country Spiders" for grayling fishing & Mr Pritt's book on the subject.

Very interesting!

Wet Feet Pete
Gudgeon

Post by Wet Feet Pete »

So similar to Dropshotting but on a different plane, so I suppose we could use the Dropshot knot for a team of "dry" Emergers.........thats it !! I'm off to try this, drag will be a problem. But not on skating flies at the end of a swing down. Perhaps.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

What a wizard wheeze! Quite brilliant and so simple I'll start tying up some leaders straight away.

Troutbeck :Thumb:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

This sounds like a recipe for lots of missed takes and lots of wasted mono. How do you change the top dropper ? A simpler way of avoiding tangles is to use just one fly :-)

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The other way to reduce tangle is to use short droppers on stiffer nylon.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Wet Feet Pete
Gudgeon

Post by Wet Feet Pete »

You have to change the whole leader Sofa Surfer, and have spares made up, just as for Sea Trout in the dark. And so far I have had no missed takes with this method at all. Still waiting for 3 fish a time though, as mentioned. For cast storage I have yet to find a better holder than the old "Hill's Cast Carriers", and 2 or 3 fit snugly into Wheatleys circular damper/cast tins.

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Wet Feet Pete wrote:You have to change the whole leader Sofa Surfer, and have spares made up, just as for Sea Trout in the dark. And so far I have had no missed takes with this method at all. Still waiting for 3 fish a time though, as mentioned. For cast storage I have yet to find a better holder than the old "Hill's Cast Carriers", and 2 or 3 fit snugly into Wheatleys circular damper/cast tins.
Exactly my own thoughts WFP. I have some cast carriers that are crying out to be used and shall enjoy tying up these casts for them.

Using only one fly does avoid the tangles of course but it doesn't solve the problem in those fast waters where if fishes could blink they'd miss a single fly.

Troutbeck :Thumb:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Wet Feet Pete
Gudgeon

Post by Wet Feet Pete »

I love this set up, and now fish the tumbling shallows with gusto. I think that fine line tied onto the bend of a hook "may" lead to poor hooking, but guess they hit them so fast, before the meal is gone. It is different tying a nymph behind a dry fly, its the nymph (tied normally) that is the bait. And I have tangled short droppers frequently in fast waters, and invented new knots. Good fishing everyone, and enjoy what ever method that you enjoy.

Return to “Fishing Films”