Crikey, it was busy in 1915!

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Crikey, it was busy in 1915!

Post by Dave Burr »

Not exactly a stalking approach is it.

And as for Old Brookes' comment...... :Tongue:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

They were never pegged even in the 60's when there was a Boxing Day Match every year. I fished a few which were between Petersham & Teddington, about 100 anglers turned up. A long walk with your kit and a b------ nightmare if the tide was coming in or going out!! Especially if it was one of the very high tides - no access to the river because of the number of trees.

I vividly remember one pour soul who was killed by lightening when using a Taperflash in a thunderstorm. We all got rid of them after that.

N9nty
Roach

Post by N9nty »

Wow, a massed start. I would love to see that in today's matches given the amount of gear they carry!
The older I get the better I was.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks for finding that video and showing it, I really enjoyed that glimpse into the past. Whenever I see a very old video like this my first thoughts are, every person you see in the picture has gone from this earth and it puts things into perspective for me. A couple of surprises for me are that no one has a rod holdall just rod bags, and secondly the seat boxes they are carrying seem to be solid, I could not see a woven one at all apart from a creel. That bottle is unusual for the time AC as the screw stopper was all the go back then replacing the cork stoppers although a few companies did still use the cork closure, it had to be wired down of course. I reckon there is beer in that bottle AC (light dinner ale?), look at that frothy head inside the water was pretty poor back then so brewed drinks were favourable for health reasons, water on tap was dodgy to say the least. they did have lashings of brewed Ginger beer also instead of water.

Just noticed how long ago the post is from..I don't know how I missed it first time round.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Reedling wrote:I reckon there is beer in that bottle AC (light dinner ale?)
The reference to Dandelion and Burdock was an attempt at humour, Sir ... hence the 'wink' symbol at the end of the sentence.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

AshbyCut wrote:
Reedling wrote:I reckon there is beer in that bottle AC (light dinner ale?)
The reference to Dandelion and Burdock was an attempt at humour, Sir ... hence the 'wink' symbol at the end of the sentence.
:Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Fantastic to watch. Amazing when you stop and think that, that is over 100 years ago, in the middle of an horrendous war on the near continent and that everyone filmed is now long dead....its like watching ghosts.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Great look back in time thank you sir :Hat:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Not available to watch in my country sadly. :snooty:
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

RBTraditional wrote:Fantastic to watch. Amazing when you stop and think that, that is over 100 years ago, in the middle of an horrendous war on the near continent and that everyone filmed is now long dead....its like watching ghosts.....
Yes thats what struck me about the timing, slap bang in the great war. A lot of those men may have gone on to be killed in the trenches.
niceroach

Return to “Fishing Films”