THE FISHING PARTY- 1972. A GEM!

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Scott
Tench

THE FISHING PARTY- 1972. A GEM!

Post by Scott »

Anybody remember this? It's a little before my time, however it was shown in the 90's, I taped it and would watch it religiously. This is vintage British comedy acting at its very best, Brian Glover deserved an Ocsar for this.
Here's the opening part from youtube, the rest of the parts are on there too, if you have a spare hour give it a go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAvazN2C1sE

Mr B

Re: THE FISHING PARTY- 1972. A GEM!

Post by Mr B »

What a film that was.... you are the first to remember that one for some time, apart from my old fishing mate and Mum!!!! She still has a copy of the video she taped when it came on the tv.
Yes, Brian Glover at his best. and what a moral to the story!
One of my favorite lines.... (and i haven't seen it for about ten years).. "Live like a pig, and tip like a king" They where all hard working miners....

do you remember the bit as they were on there way out to the fishing grounds... Smelling the fresh sea air... "Gulp it down lads"

Yes, I must watch that again.... a lesson in life.

Thank you

Mr B
Ps... I have an open fishing boat that is kept on the beech... I love sea fishing.

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Thanks again.... just watched it again....... "Fantastic!|" Got one bit wrong.... It was "Live like a pig tip like a lord" , not King.

I have got to try to get the CD if there is one?

Mr B

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Don't think it's available on DVD Mr B, I'm quite happy to watch it on youtube...
There are so many classic, quotable lines in the film, a favorite of mine; "I believe in the dignity of the working man, Fisherman!"
As to the moral of the story, well, I find it really difficult to sum it up in words, I think it's really quite deep and it is truely a work of art... ...I'm glad I've found a fellow fan...
My dad told me that there was another film featuring the same 3 characters but in said film they were on a canal barge, I'm yet to track it down, any ideas?

Mr B

Post by Mr B »

Yes, I think there is so much in it. I get something new every time I watch it. I was disappointed to know that my mum has no longer got her original recording, what a shame. I am going to contact the BBC... (I think it was The BBC?) to ask them to show it show it again, never know.
you are right, I cant find it anywhere?

I haven't seen the one on the barge? I bet that's a good one! I do have a Video copy of "A Day Out" Though. You might have seen it.

Its about an old cycle club up north, set just before the first world war... Truly another great one with Brian Glover (I love old bikes to!)

Thanks again for the link

Mr B

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Absolutely fantastic. Thank you for pointing it out. The script is so well written.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I remember when it was first shown, I loved it because it was about fishing - well, sort of. I watched it when it was repeated as well, a true classic.

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

thanks ,now i'll have to download all the parts stitch it together ,tweek the picture quality ,then add it to my fishing HD collection i'm building (i'm converting all my fishing video's too digital format ,i've only done around 30 ,only 300 or so to go) ,i may reupload it to youtube as a full film as well .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Return to “Fishing Films”