Andy Orme - The Secret Lake

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Andy Orme - The Secret Lake

Post by Shaun Harrison »

At the time I thought this was the best angling film I had seen on the TV really capturing so much more than the actual angling. A programme I thought showed Joe public a little more of the reason why many of us angle. It isn't all about catching the fish.

I only ever watched it the once and a chance conversation in France someone mentioned it was on You Tube - I guess I should have known.

I watched it again at the week-end and decided to share it as to me it shows so much more that many of the angling programmes up until 'A Passion' never showed.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDFDO46kptc
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr4b63VVG68

Bluedun

Re: Andy Orme - The Secret Lake

Post by Bluedun »

That was a pretty good film; I remember watching it years ago. Just looked at the opening minutes. Looks like an estuary wader has somehow been edited in.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I can't comment on it because I've never seen it. I now however have something to watch later, Thanks for the link Shaun.

If it includes nature, I dare say I'll love it.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Judging by the tackle - The Gardener Grease Monkeys, I would guess 1987'ish

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

I have a couple of his books roving for barbel and the amazing meat book.
Bought a couple of rods from him years ago before I found cane I met him and his wife,Clare or Jill I think, when collecting the rods really knew his stuff and a good angler.
The memory is going with age but seem to recall some big argument with Trefor West over something or other with the Barbel society sure somebody will remember
Bumble

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

He split with Jill (think it was Jill) and emigrated leaving her with the rod company 'Seer'. They were well known for adding carbon sections between their cork sections on the handles - never took off though.

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

That's it Shaun Seer all flooding back now the handle was supposed to increase sensitivity have 2 in the loft somewhere will have to find them at the weekend.
Bumble

Haydn Clarke

Post by Haydn Clarke »

Cult rods, Seer. Seem to command very respectable prices amongst the Barbelistas on the rare occasions when they actually hit the market.

Was there not talk of Jill resurrecting Seer a little while back?

Mr Orme, I think, is to be found on a charter boat somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

Bluedun

Post by Bluedun »

Bumble wrote: The memory is going with age but seem to recall some big argument with Trefor West over something or other with the Barbel society sure somebody will remember
Bumble
I seem to remember that fellow bickering endlessly with others whose names I've forgotten in the letter pages of fishing mags of the 70s/early 80s.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

I held my monthly British Carp Study Group meeting last night and asked about Andy Orme. It would appear that he is now living in Kenya, the lake in the film is near Frome & the carp shown in the underwater clips was supplied by Ron Felton.

I just love these gatherings of extremely knowledgeable and like minded true gentlemen anglers, almost everyone of them would fit in well on this forum. It amazes me how just one subject can bring up so many memories. Sadly Ron Felton is no longer with us but his son Steve Felton is certainly keeping the Felton legacy going with some truly incredible big English carp and mostly commons. Steve is very publicity shy and keeps a very strict publicity ban on his waters but it is nice to know that we still have prime English commons still coming through and the B.C.S.G. jumped at the chance of having some of Steve's fish for one of our new waters.

Return to “Fishing Films”