Wooden Rod Rests.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Wooden Rod Rests.

Post by Mr B »

Wooden rod rests.
I was thinking of making a half a dozen wooden rod rests.
I am in woodlands and around trees everyday with my work as an Arboriculture Officer or Tree Officer in plain English.
I was a Tree Surgeon for many years, now four stone ago!
Anyway... I have made rod rests out of Hazel and they have been ok.
They look nice with nice dark bark, but the point on the bottom can be rather soft.
I think Ash, Hornbeam and Hawthorn would make a good rest, Oak too, if you can find a suitable one.
I have got a nice catapult that I made in Oak, its rock hard once it seasons.
And a few in Ash and one in Cherry.
Hawthorn too drys rock solid. I have even made pokers for my fire out if it and they have lasted a good few years!

So, hear you go.. Over the next few months I will knock some up and try to post the photos on the Forum... Been having trouble. ( i know its spring and the sap will be rising, but it should be ok, its a bit like the old saying... "When do you cut a new walking stick? ... When you see it!)

Have any of you fellow Anglers tried different woods?

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Wooden Rod Rests.

Post by Duebel »

I'm looking forward to seeing your rod rests. As a joiner I've got a professional interest in wood. I made two a couple of weeks ago out of small forked branches of my plumtree. They need some more seasoning of course but look quite nice and seem to be solid enough for their task already.
As for your uploading problem. Have you tried to copy and paste the IMG code tinypic gives you once you have uploaded the picture. You can find a step by step guide on how to do it with a phone here http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 83&t=24458
It should work similarly on your computer.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

On my rod rests I sheathed the point with brass sheet to protect them, ill try to upload a picture later. :Hat:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

The thing with hazel or indeed sweet chestnut is that once coppiced it grows mulitstemed, relatively straight and produces good forks. You could try tempering the points to harden them that bit more, personally I just re sharpen them when required which isn't that often but then most of the banks I fish are clay.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Hornbeam is as hard as nails, I has some Hornbeam to lop a couple of years ago, even in its " green" state it was tough, I would think once seasoned it would be like iron.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

WoodMagnet
Silver Bream

Post by WoodMagnet »

I seem to recall someone making rod rests with bamboo garden canes.
But I forget who it was.
A.K.A. Kevin.
Qui audet adipiscatur.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Three RBT rod rests that I've just made and are now ready for varnishing....hazel just looks the part to me......but then I'm surrounded by nut woods, I walk out of the cottage through the garden and I'm in one.....the farm is bordered by them too.....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

All great comments.
I will try again with the photos... I use an iPad. I know Apple can be temperamental at times. Plus I am useless at moden technology!
Yes, I love wood too, i have even got green oak book shelves in my front room with the bark left on.... Its great, its like being in a shed, and my wife loves it too!
Love your rod RBT.. Hazel is a good all rounder and you can re point them, or sheath them, sounds good. I cut a bunch of coppiced Hazel a good few years ago now for my long net sticks, I use to carry them in a canvas quiver on my belt. ( I did lots of Rabbiting at one time) i still have the nests but the sticks now have had it, but they have got to be around 20 years old!
Yes, I will defiantly knock a few up and post them once I have cracked it.

Thanks

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

WoodMagnet
Silver Bream

Post by WoodMagnet »

Very nice Martin. :Hat:
A.K.A. Kevin.
Qui audet adipiscatur.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

RBT, your hazel rod rests are superb!
May I ask for how long you season your wood, before you remove the bark from the forks, if at all?
And then how long to they take to dry sufficiently to varnish them?

I have a couple of prospective hazel rests lashed to a straight edge, to dry in the greenhouse, along with a cherry wood rest.
But mine will never be as good or as straight as yours. There is a dearth of pollarded hazel in these parts.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”