Vintage bite alarm help

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
User avatar
Northern_Nomad
Chub
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:10 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by Northern_Nomad » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:23 pm

I absolutely love it :Ok:

It’s design concept is quirky, different and delightfully Heath Robinson but professionally packaged and built. That sounder box alone should be in the modern style museum.

As a young kid who messed about with home made night detecting devices, utilising torches, brass contacts, squarky electrical device removed from 60’ and early 70’s toys, I absolutely identify with it. If you have ever used the clip on daytime bite indicators ( can’tremember the names even though I’ve recently given one away on here) you can see the thought process behind it.

I have no idea on a price. It’s rare! It’s mint and boxed and it came from a unique angling brain so I hope you friend gets a good price for it.

Me? I’ve just spent a small fortune on fishing lately ( according to the Director of Finance, Housing and Discipline) so I would be risking divorce. I would also require two. It is however a superb man cave item.
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

User avatar
Barbulus
Eel
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:51 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by Barbulus » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:50 pm

Neil - I seem to recall you already have two matching "old skool" alarms .................... ! No excuse !

User avatar
RBTraditional
Rainbow Trout
Posts: 3422
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:10 pm
Location: Along the Greensand Way

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by RBTraditional » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Maybe worth contacting the Angling Heritage to see if it of any interest to them mate
"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

User avatar
Northern_Nomad
Chub
Posts: 1021
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:10 pm
Location: Wales

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by Northern_Nomad » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Barbulus wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:50 pm
Neil - I seem to recall you already have two matching "old skool" alarms .................... ! No excuse !
You can never too much of a good thing.

Fancy building a couple of these :Wink:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

User avatar
Beresford
Zander
Posts: 3850
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by Beresford » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 am

It looks to be in amazing condition – quite a find. I'm not sure who could give an accurate value as I'd suggest it's very rare. Perhaps one of the auctioneers like Neil Freeman could give you an estimate (and possibly sell it for you) or you take your chance with an on-line auction.

I suspect there are collectors, rather than users, who would love to get a mint condition piece like this to preserve. Although I'm all for using tackle this may actually be unique and a little bit of our angling heritage worth saving.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

User avatar
BobTheFloat
Arctic Char
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:27 pm
Location: Over there that's me waving! I like your hat is it lined?

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by BobTheFloat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:57 pm

Beresford wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 am
It looks to be in amazing condition – quite a find. I'm not sure who could give an accurate value as I'd suggest it's very rare. Perhaps one of the auctioneers like Neil Freeman could give you an estimate (and possibly sell it for you) or you take your chance with an on-line auction.

I suspect there are collectors, rather than users, who would love to get a mint condition piece like this to preserve. Although I'm all for using tackle this may actually be unique and a little bit of our angling heritage worth saving.
I agree totally definitely a collectors piece :Hat:
Your one bite away from the best session of your life

User avatar
Reedling
Barbel
Posts: 4568
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Kent

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by Reedling » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:02 am

These people sold one in a group of alarms, maybe give them a call...
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auct ... 4000f6eed4

User avatar
BobTheFloat
Arctic Char
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:27 pm
Location: Over there that's me waving! I like your hat is it lined?

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by BobTheFloat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:49 am

Thank you very much :Hat:
Your one bite away from the best session of your life

User avatar
JPC
Gudgeon
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by JPC » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:36 pm

Walker wrote about this form of bite indicator quite a bit in his Angling Times column mainly in its non electrified form i.e. just a hinged pair of rods, one of which had a curved end which rested over the line. The two main factors he pushed was the use of an isotope which at the time were relatively new, you could see what was going on re bites and the system would show drop back bites. He also mentioned that it was pretty easy to add weight to the curved rod and therefore it could be used on slow moving rivers.
Later the electric buzzer and light box was added and it went into production, he wrote about it his AT column and warned it would be quite expensive, part of his column relating to it is reproduced in Peter Maskell's The Carp Godfather. I also think you could buy a second indicator without a sounder box which you could run off the original box therefore you could use two rods. I don't recall it selling very well partly because of the release of a couple of more conventional or accepted bite alarms coming onto the market at the same time.
What it is worth is difficult to say, in the condition it is plus it's rarity I would guess the bite indicator collectors would go into meltdown.

User avatar
BobTheFloat
Arctic Char
Posts: 1510
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:27 pm
Location: Over there that's me waving! I like your hat is it lined?

Re: Vintage bite alarm help

Post by BobTheFloat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:52 pm

JPC wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:36 pm
Walker wrote about this form of bite indicator quite a bit in his Angling Times column mainly in its non electrified form i.e. just a hinged pair of rods, one of which had a curved end which rested over the line. The two main factors he pushed was the use of an isotope which at the time were relatively new, you could see what was going on re bites and the system would show drop back bites. He also mentioned that it was pretty easy to add weight to the curved rod and therefore it could be used on slow moving rivers.
Later the electric buzzer and light box was added and it went into production, he wrote about it his AT column and warned it would be quite expensive, part of his column relating to it is reproduced in Peter Maskell's The Carp Godfather. I also think you could buy a second indicator without a sounder box which you could run off the original box therefore you could use two rods. I don't recall it selling very well partly because of the release of a couple of more conventional or accepted bite alarms coming onto the market at the same time.
What it is worth is difficult to say, in the condition it is plus it's rarity I would guess the bite indicator collectors would go into meltdown.
Thank you so much for the information above sir
This thread died off a little.
If it doesn't sell it might end up in a museum.
I've yet to find a bite indicator collector to converse with.
Your one bite away from the best session of your life

Post Reply

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests