not very traditional i guess

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Stuart Whiting

Re: not very traditional i guess

Post by Stuart Whiting »

95% of my fishing over the years has been spent roving the banks in search of big chub on some of the best big fish rivers in the south-southeast, at one time I can remember once having what I call the Bob nudd box, it was the red asi box and weighed an absolute ton, I've had bad back and shoulder problems over the the years and vouched that I'd never use a damm box ever again and that was over some 25 year ago,

Far to cumbersome for my liking :tea:

My approach these days is to travel light simply carrying me korum bait n tackle bag and me rod n landing net, I've literally got everything I need for a days roving,

I will add though that when roving in the winter , the grass river banks are likely to be wet the majority of the time and in which case I wear a quality pair of light weight water proof trousers and am then quite happy to sit on the grass banks as most of my type of fishing is in stalking mode :Thumb:

Saves all the hassle of lugging boxes and seats, those days are long gone :fingertap:

Stuart

Kevin
Chub

Post by Kevin »

Another good reason for traveling light on the lakes is you don't get mithered by the gear heads.They walk on unimpressed.

Macko
Grayling

Post by Macko »

I really fancy one the these for my mobile fishing
http://www.fjallraven.co.uk/stubben

ATB Macko

N9nty
Roach

Post by N9nty »

My solution for roving fishing is a fly fishermans vest, mine has two large side pockets, chest pockets and a built in inflatable life jacket. You can buy them with any number of pockets which will swallow an amazing amount of kit and then have all the scissors, disgorgers etc that that you require on zingers so they are to hand and won't get lost. If you tackle up at the car all you need to carry is the rod, rod rest, and a landing net, you can then select a lightweight chair of your choice, fitted with a strap this can be slung over your shoulder.

I have had my vest since about 1985 and have worn it on hundreds of trips, one day it might even save my life.

John: Chuckle:
The older I get the better I was.

Richard O
Silver Bream

Post by Richard O »

https://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/hires ... -chair.jpg

I've just bought one of these, nice because it has a back rest, my old folding deck chair was a bit wide when strapped to the back of my bike.

Mark_N
Bleak

Post by Mark_N »

I'm a bit of a luggage tart and have a number of solutions, apologies but none of them are traditional :Scared:

For Match/ Pole Fishing, I have a continental style box (Kiley) with Octoplus legs and wheel set which make it easy to drag along (plus you can put a rod bag on top. I use this if I'm pole fishing as I like the seat height, but they are not for travelling light even with the wheels.

For Normal sessions I take a proper chair (Chub) and a Fox Bucket carryall http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/fox-bucket-carryall

The carryall is a great bit of kit as the bucket keeps bait,food and drink together and waterproof plus it has pockets for my tackle box on the front and side pockets for tackle box etc..the top is waterproof and cushioned so you can sit on it, thing is for me it is a bit too low the bucket lid doubles as a table too. Before I bought this I had a separate bait bucket and tackle bag, which was a pain to carry (now passed onto my son). I strongly recommend this bit of kit.....I've not had it long but I like it more and more each time i use it.

For Short sessions. I wear a waistcoat with minimal kit and take the heavy stuff out of the carryall. Instead of the big chair I take a small stool. This came from rucksack bought from Lidl (~£10) It's similar to the Shakespeare one but has no back. I ditched the rucksack because I like stuff to hand and I found it hard to get to stuff when it was on the stool (the rucksack is now in the "too good to throw away so better keep" pile)

Oh I also have a beta box, bought in a charity shop for £5, because it was too good to pass up. It will probably get a set of Legs and be used with the wheel kit for short winter sessions and also for long session carp fishing as it makes a convenient locker for "Stuff"

Sorry bit of a marathon post, but hope it helps.
There are 2 types of people in this world.... those that "get" fishing .... and those that don't

ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

I bought one the seat/rucksack things the other day, but found that if you leaned back it pressed into your spine ?
Whipped the rucksack off and up-ended it in a joiners vice, a few gentle persuasions later and its now dream to use.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”