not very traditional i guess

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Bjp
Chub

Re: not very traditional i guess

Post by Bjp »

Fred wrote:Hi Bjp
I use a beta box and it dos me even if it is blue. I use in the winter to take the wear and tear of my older sweatboxes.
I find it’s just the right size for my entire tackle, flask, sandwiches plus my camera and it keeps every thing dry and out of the mud.
It’s not too heavy as long as you put too much in it.
Thanks for that fred that's what i was hoping i like the fact that it will be totally waterproof (as long as you close the lid) and as i have a breakaway harness already i may just buy a box and give it a go

regards

bjp

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

I have used a few, different seat boxes and configurations over the years. My first "seatbox" was home made by my father, from a hospital laundry container. It is still at my parents and my dad uses it to store papers. Then I had a Shakespeare, green seatbox from 1987, (brought second hand with a Mitchell 300). Now I use a Daiwa 75 seatbox for my modern days and a Korum roving kit when I take my traditional kit and travel light. This is really good as it goes on your back with a bag that attaches to it.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

I kind of think the Beta boxes are traditional – how long have they been around for? I know a lot of the reservoir trout fishermen like them for the boat and to be honest I wish I'd got one instead of the Snowbee bag I bought.

However, when faced with a similar problem I eventually found a solution as mentioned here, get a ruck sack, traditional if you must but I find modern designs much more comfortable and buy a light weight chair. Lots around depending on the level of comfort you want. I found the JRC Ultra light chair to be the best option for me. It's probably the single bit of kit that has made my fishing more enjoyable.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I've no idea of the age of them, but I was working in a tackle shop about 5 years ago and this old feller came in for bait. His pals dragged him over to see the Shakespeare Beat Box we had in stock and he was mightilly chuffed....he was the designer...and he was pretty amazed that they're still around.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Nobby wrote:I've no idea of the age of them, but I was working in a tackle shop about 5 years ago and this old feller came in for bait. His pals dragged him over to see the Shakespeare Beat Box we had in stock and he was mightilly chuffed....he was the designer...and he was pretty amazed that they're still around.
Blimey should have got him to sign it

regards

bjp :Hat:

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Most of the early plastic seat boxes were water tanks with lids fitted.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

I also have a Shakespeare team box and you're right it is bulky, I dont use it often at all (although it is very practical) most of my fishing now involves long walks of a few miles there and back or sometimes by bicycle.
I considered one of the many rucksack/seat combinations but the seats always seemed too small and unstable and the fact that the bag is attached to the seat could be awkward.

As of now my current setup is this:

Millican Dave Rucksack

and

Avid carp transit chair

which folds up to this

The chair is reasonably lightweight and very comfortable (but is very low, which suits me but might not be ideal if you have back problems)
& the rucksack is something else!
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have an Avid Transit chair.... quite comfy, but as you say very low..... getting into it is very easy..... getting out is a slightly different matter if you have shot knees as I have
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Richie
Roach

Post by Richie »

I use a blue Shakespeare box from the 1980s but with the octopus leg system adaption , getting a bit heavy to lug around so thinking of a seat and bag .
The laughing Hyena he drives me crackers would he laugh so much if I cut off his knackers.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

I used to use my old Green Shakespeare box all the time. I brought it of a bloke Second hand in 87 and it was quite a few years old then. Over time I have come to realise they were very good boxes and I got on with them much better than the Plantform/conti type boxes I used later in my pleasure and match fishing days. I would like to get it back but I gave it to a mate who chucked it out in the end.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”