Cane swing tip, how do I.....

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: Cane swing tip, how do I.....

Post by Ljm183 »

Reedling wrote:I have never seen a swing tip made from cane, I would love to see a picture of what you end up with, please.
Here you go Reedling Here,s a couple i made earlier.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Very nice Ljm183 and thanks for putting them on. I have some old fittings etc, I can see a swing tip or two being made in the near future..... after the floats!! I really should get my A*** in gear.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Just a few pointers from my days as a club matchman on the bream waters of the northwest in the 1970s. Thin whole cane around 9 inches long is best. You can buy packs of barbecue skewers in supermarkets very cheaply and this is just right in diameter, but slightly lighter than the stuff I remember from the 70s.

You need two rings on the tip and the top one should be set at around 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the top of the tip to minimise tangles. As has already been mentioned some lead wire will help if there is any undertow.

Hopkins and Holloway do packs of 3 bent rubbers for a couple of pounds. These are supposed to help prevent tangles and resist undertow.

I'm away at the moment, but I'll post a picture of one I made a while ago when I get home.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

The ones above are made from broken tip sections and are actually split cane.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”