Pimp your Kelly Kettle

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Re: Pimp your Kelly Kettle

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I posted this link before. For those interested and without the skill to make one themselves you can get a canvas bag for your kettle here:
https://www.wynnchester.co.uk/product-c ... ed-cotton/
It´s expensive, though. They have a lot of other nice traditional gear, too. Very good service, too.
Best, Bobby

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

I think I will hijack this topic. Or at least add to it.

When it is wet outside, and you don't have dry firewood available, it is hard to start a fire. I made some fire starters I use in my Kelly Kettle.
It works as a starter for damp materials but also works by itself. It takes 15 to 20 minutes to boil 0,5 liters of water on a sole starter. They don't take much space and you only need a lighter. One small fire-starter will burn for over an hour, so good for 3x 0,5 liters of boiling water. You can stop the fire easily with covering up the top (I used an can of sweetcorn) and is easy to re-light if they are not exhausted. DONT add water as it will give a big flame.

And yes of course it is less romantic than burning wood but it's easy, cheap, waterproof and it works...

this is how I made them:

Cut open a small can and cut some wedges to fold in the sharp edges. Roll up a piece of cardboard and place this in the can. Melt some candle wax and pour in the can. Don't fill to the top as it will start to boil and if it runs over the top it will make a mess in the base of the kettle.

Last edited by Trilob on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northern Eel
Chub

Post by Northern Eel »

Nigel, you have far too much spare time! :Chuckle:

I actually like smelling of fire! and as for lighting a fire, I see it as a challenge, even in the wet, (I am a scout leader, so it's kind of My job anyway :Wink: )
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

I couldn't agree more. But there are times I choose the easy way and I think it is worth sharing :Sarcasm:

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”