Pimp your Kelly Kettle

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Trilob
Chub

Re: Pimp your Kelly Kettle

Post by Trilob »

there is!

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Trilob wrote:
Shaun Harrison wrote:wrapping string around the handle, covering it in insulation tape .

I think tennis racket tape would look great on it. hehehe :Sarcasm:

Look great and people want to stop and talk, look shabby and they leave you in peace :Happy:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

I abandoned Kelly kettles many years ago and have now use a Trangia Meths Stove.No smell and everything fits very neatly together,a pan,a frying pans and a kettle.The only disadvantage is the rising cost of meths.In Ireland where I sometimes use my stove you have to sign a form to say what you want to buy the meths for before you can purchase it.This is strange as its about £3.50 for half a pint and if I had a problem with "the drink" I could get a fair few cans of cheap lager for that price.
Mark Davies

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Penninelad wrote:I abandoned Kelly kettles many years ago and have now use a Trangia Meths Stove.No smell and everything fits very neatly together,a pan,a frying pans and a kettle.The only disadvantage is the rising cost of meths.In Ireland where I sometimes use my stove you have to sign a form to say what you want to buy the meths for before you can purchase it.This is strange as its about £3.50 for half a pint and if I had a problem with "the drink" I could get a fair few cans of cheap lager for that price.
I agree they are smelly messy things, useless for cooking with but they do fit in with the whole traditional thing, I personally love mine and would never use anything else. :Hat:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

For me too Paul. Would never like to be without mine. And you cannot forget fuel. The Kettle rescued my fishing day quite often when I blanked on catching.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

The VFC
Brown Trout

Post by The VFC »

Came to this post via t'other one on the subject of Kelly Kettles (always the Kelly for me over the Ghillie!): it reminded me that I have some spare corks on chains and still have a few cook sets (large or small) in stock if any body needs one. I've just knocked the cook sets down in price: the corks (so much nicer than the rubber bungs!) aren't on the site but if you want one I'll either throw one in with a cookset gratis or pm me and we'll sort something out (just postage really)!

Now to go and get me one of those wood carburettors: I too get banned from re-entering the house if we've been using the KK!
ATB
Jim

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

OldTackle wrote:Evening gentlemen,

this is meant to be a tip to all those using the Kelly Kettle Trekker which is the smallest version suitable for two cups of tea or a small instant meal etc. I use my Kettle almost each trip and like it over all the other camp stoves I have used over time. But one thing remained disliked. The smell of smoke after and while using it. The wife was instantly yelling I should leave my clothes outside even before I was fully through the main door. Along with that it may cause headaches to one or the other and I am one of those. It was just by chance that I saw a video advertising a new design of a stove that in my point of view forms a perfect match to the principle of the Kettle. As the Kettle has a double wall so has this stove. The idea behind it is called "wood carburetor". You can easily google some more information also by searching after one of the brands which in my case it "solo stove". They come in different sizes and I found the smallest to be just the perfect size for the Trekker Kettle. I took the stainless steel version to match my stainless steel version of the Kettle.
There are a couple of really nice things that I would like to share with you. First and regarding the place where we use it is that the fire pit has absolutely no contact to the bottom anymore. The inside fire pan sits about 2 cm above the bottom, which for the solo stove is completely closed. So absolutely no ambers can fall to the ground anymore. Great, isn’t it? No concerns of anyone that we destroy or burn the ground can be made anymore. Wet conditions do not matter anymore, too. And there comes the second advantage. Airflow comes from below, too but is now circular around the complete stove. As the fire is shielded by the inside wall even the strongest winds cannot affect it anymore. The third advantage is that the Kettle now sits inside/outside of the stove and overbooking water cannot access the fireman anymore. Had that a couple of time with my Kettle where it just killed the fire. As I use filtered river water I like to boil it for a certain time and that's now not an issue anymore. Have you ever had to re-position a Kettle that already is set on fire? Due to its doubled wall it remains cool enough on the bottom to be touched. You can even carry it to another place if necessary. Without the Kettle on that is.
You might ask yourself if there are any disadvantages? There are. That thing has a very proud price and the fire pan is a bit smaller which means a bit more work for the wood to prepare but I find that a very acceptable compromise. To set a fire up even more quickly I carry a couple of those barbecue starters with me. These biological ones self speaking.
That solo stove comes with an additional pot rest that I use to keep my cup hot while the brew needs its time to bring the flavor out.
That little thing has now replaced the Kettle's fire pan completely.
To let you know, I also bought a cheaper one which is a lot worse. Bad weldings, sharp edges and the worst: its open at the bottom. So no, it's the solo stove for me! Highly recommended!
IMG_5050.JPG
IMG_4141.JPG
That pimp is eighty quid for heavens sake :shocked:
I'm planning two day trips to Devon on the fly next season so the vacuum flask is not up to task. £40 -50 whether alum or SS seems reasonable for a one man Kelly; just tuck away a change of clothes for that "Honey, I'm home" moment :Thumb:

Good to be informed of the options mind :Thumb:

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Got the "solo stove" for 40 quid. Still expensive but I love it!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Beryl

Post by Beryl »

OldTackle wrote:Got the "solo stove" for 40 quid. Still expensive but I love it!
:Thumb:

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have one of the smaller Kelly Kettles,its over 20 years old, and accompanies me on every winter fishing trip ....the chain securing the cork pulled out of the body, leaving a couple of holes, and it started to leak around the base, I managed to repair it using JB Weld epoxy resin, its as good as new now, if a little " age" battered..
A quick tip if like me you like more brews than the Kelly holds water,is to fill one of the smaller Coke bottles or similar with tap water,wrap it in newspaper and" bung it up the Kellys Chimney " it will double the amount of water carried and take up no space, the newspaper keeps the bottle clean of soot from the chimney, and also comes in handy for helping lighting the Kelly.
My wife says my old Kelly is like a Bessemers Converter when I fire it up !

OMR.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”