Closer to a ban on traditional lead weights.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Closer to a ban on traditional lead weights.

Post by RBTraditional »

They only rarely let the river down now Rich, since they put the new automatic locks in downstream of the Tonbridge flood barrier. I remember us fishing down the road from your farm when it was low and having some good chub out, we used to love it . You're right though the amount of lost tackle was incredible.....don't see that many fishing down there now apart from the carp boys.....its all changed.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I totally agree with you regards other environmental threats and many are indeed a greater worry, but if we are to be seen as the conservationists that we claim to be then we must do our bit....I don't see that as capitulation, just common sense. As anglers we always adapt and even though I was initially disappointed with the way non toxic leads fished, I've grown used to them and still catch......I certainly don't think my angling has suffered.
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Craggs-Dale

Post by Craggs-Dale »

Well said Mr Harrison

Chris Bettis
Crucian Carp

Post by Chris Bettis »

It was always going to happen. Dick Walker spent a lot of time and made a strong case against the ban on lead shot (well worth reading) but without managing to stop the ban coming in. That all other weights were going to follow shot was as certain as night following day. We can be sure that the tackle trade will find a substitute rather than miss out on profit. How many TFF members make much use of lead weights? I know that I do not, a swan shot or two being all I use as a rule but I do not fish waters that need weights. It will be a problem for some of the carp boys who insist on fishing at the longest range possible and will stop having several ounces of lead entering my swim from the other side of the lake so it will not be all bad!

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

To me the biggest concern regarding lead in fishing is those modern "safety" lead clips that are designed to drop the lead when you get a take!! Just think of all the lead they are dropping into our lakes and rivers. It's madness!!

Additionally people shooting continues to be a problem, despite laws against lead shot in wetlands. The BBC news piece mentioned already states that "the WWT (Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust) recently carried out tests on just over 100 ducks purchased as "locally shot" from suppliers in England and found that more than three quarters were killed using lead."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34861602

Moreover this law doesn't apply to anywhere else. Firing lead out of a gun anywhere is an environmental problem and should be against the law!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

Here in France it is now illegal to use lead shot in cartridges when shooting over wetlands. Stainless steel has replaced lead.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Swythyn Troutbeck wrote:Here in France it is now illegal to use lead shot in cartridges when shooting over wetlands. Stainless steel has replaced lead.

Troutbeck :Hat:
Stainless steel! Blimey, My crowns and fillings will not stand a chance.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

According to the following article, lead does not dissolve in water, so I am struggling to see what the actual problem is in regards to 1oz plus?

Lead (Pb) and water Lead and water: reaction mechanisms, environmental impact and health effects

Seawater contains trace amounts of lead (2-30 ppt). On average rivers contain between 3 and 30 ppb. Phytoplankton contains approximately 5-10 ppm lead (dry mass), freshwater fish approximately 0.5-1000 ppb, and oyster approximately 500 ppb.
The World Health Organization (WHO) stated a legal limit of 50 ppb for lead in 1995, which is decreased to 10 ppb in 2010.
In what way and in what form does lead react with water?
Under normal conditions lead does not react with water. However, when lead comes in contact with moist air reactivity with water increases. A small lead oxide (PbO) layer forms at the surface of the metal. When both oxygen and water are present, metallic lead is converted to lead hydroxide (Pb(OH)2):
2Pb(s)+ O2(g) + 2H2O(l) -> 2 Pb(OH)2(s)
Solubility of lead and lead compounds
Elementary lead does not dissolve in water under normal conditions (20oC, and pressure = 1 bar). It may however occur dissolved in water as PbCO3 or Pb(CO3)22-. A well-known example of a water soluble lead compound is lead sugar (lead(II)acetate), which derived its name from its sweet nature.
Lead frequently binds to sulphur in sulphide form (S2-), or to phosphor in phosphate form (PO43-). In these forms lead is extremely insoluble, and is present as immobile compounds in the environment. Lead compounds are generally soluble in soft, slightly acidic water.
Why is lead present in water?
Lead waterworks were often applied in former days, and these may still be present in old buildings. Lead from pipes may partially dissolve in the water flowing through. Lead may bind to carbonate, therefore lower amounts of lead dissolve in hard water. Inside the pipes, a layer of hardly soluble alkalic lead carbonate is formed. This layer functions as a protective coating for the underlying lead of the pipes. The Romans often filled the pipes with wine on holidays, causing the layer to dissolve and form lead sugar.
Despite its toxicity, the above-mentioned lead(II)acetate was applied far into the 19th century, to sweeten wine and other beverages and food stuffs.
Water pollution containing lead compounds derived from lead ores in the mining industry was first mentioned by architect Vitruvius, in 20 B.C., when he gave out a warning of its health effects. In Rome lead was often released as a by-product of silver mining.
Lead white, an alkalic lead carbonate (2PbCO3.Pb(OH)2), is a white pigment. It is no longer applied because of its extreme toxicity. Selling tubes of lead white is now prohibited in the European Union.
Organic lead is applied in petroleum production, and inorganic lead compounds are applied for battery and paint production.
Most industrially processed lead is applied for fabricating computer and TV screens. The lead compound tetra-ethyl lead is applied as an additive in fuels. This organic lead compounds is quickly converted to inorganic lead, and ends up in water, sometimes even in drinking water. Fortunately, this form of release of lead is less and less abundant.
In architecture lead is applied in roofs and in stained glass windows. Generally, lead dissolved or suspended in wastewater mostly stems from streets, pipes and soils.
In The Netherlands, lead in food causes about half of the human lead exposure.
What are the environmental effects of lead in water?
Lead and lead compounds are generally toxic pollutants. Lead(II)salts and organic lead compounds are most harmful ecotoxicologically. Lead salts are attributed to water hazard class 2, and consequently are harmful. The same applies to lead compounds such as lead acetate, lead oxide, lead nitrate, and lead carbonate.
Lead limits plant chlorophyll synthesis. Nevertheless, plants can take up high levels of lead up to 500 ppm from soils. Higher concentrations negatively influence plant growth. Through plant uptake, lead enters food chains. Consequently, lead pesticide application is prohibited in most countries. Lead accumulates in organisms, sediments and sludge. Lead in wastewater mostly stems from streets and roofs.
Lead exists as four stable isotopes, and no less than 26 instable isotopes.
What are the health effects of lead in water?
The human body contains approximately 120 mg of lead. About 10-20% of lead is absorbed by the intestines. Symptoms over overexposure to lead include colics, skin pigmentation and paralysis. Generally, effects of lead poisoning are neurological or teratogenic. Organic lead causes necrosis of neurons. Inorganic lead causes axonal degeneration and demyelination. Both species of lead may cause cerebral oedema and congestion. Organic lead compounds are absorbed quicker, and therefore pose a greater risk. Organic lead derivates may be carcinogenic. Women are generally more susceptible to lead poisoning than men. Lead causes menstrual disorder, infertility and spontaneous abortion, and it increases the risk of stillbirth. Foetuses are more susceptible to lead poisoning than mothers, and generally foetuses even protect mothers from lead poisoning. A long time ago lead was applied as a measure of birth control, for example as a spermicidal, and to induce abortion.
Children may absorb a larger amount of lead per unit body weight than adults (up to 40%). Consequently, children are generally more susceptible for lead poisoning than adults. Symptoms include lower IQs, behavioural changes and concentration disorder.
Lead accumulates in leg tissue. The most severe type of lead poisoning causes encephalopathy.
Lead toxicity is induced by lead ions reacting with free sulfydryl groups of proteins, such as enzymes. These are deactivated. Furthermore, lead may interact with other metal ions.
Which water purification technologies can be applied to remove lead from water?
Lead removal from water may be established applying coagulation, sand filtration and ion exchange. Additionally, active carbon, KDF media filtration and reverse osmosis may be applied.
Literature and the other elements and their interaction with water

Read more: http://www.lenntech....m#ixzz3sgzHUqgp

WhiteWolf
Minnow

Post by WhiteWolf »

I would have thought that given the amount of pollutants from the land (insecticides etc), and pollutants from various other processes, the amount of pollution that could be attributed to anglers using lead shot is absolutely miniscule?

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Before I retired, I used to install machinery, including the early repetitive CNC lathes, so when it came to testing, I would get the operator to put a length of brass rod in, and turn me out a few dozen Arlsley bombs of various sizes, then as I needed them I would drill a small hole and Araldite a swivel in, then slap a quick coat of Humbrol matte black on them. This was before the uproar about lead, and I am still using them today, mind you the stock is going down dramatically. :Ok:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”