Maxima main line

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Maxima main line

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,I was shoting up some new floats that Paul D had made for me when I found the new line was strangly coiling up after being pulled between the fingers to straighten out,I have never had this trouble before so I emailed Maxima to ask the reasons for this problem,I will have to wait for a response .Have any of you had this happen and what line can you trust on only 2.5 lbs.Reelmaker

Paul D

Re: Maxima main line

Post by Paul D »

Reelmaker, I think you may have unwittingly credited me with your new floats ?
As for line then Drennan float fish for anything under 4lb , Daiwa Sensor after that, purely my choice of course :Hat:

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Never had that trouble is it on a centrepin or a fixed spool reel ?.
I use Bayer for most of my floating line use.
But maxima makes a good line you should not have any trouble with it

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have used and abused Maxima for years and have never had a problem with it, apart from certain limitations for floating use.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

If your fingers are drier or rougher than normal you might be inadvertently heating the line by giving it a friction burn which may be causing coiling. When running any line through ones hand it's always better to wet either the line or ones hand first to avoid this. I have read somewhere that it's wise to put line in a bucket of water whilst reeling it onto the reel.

I would try what you're doing with either wet line or hands and see if it makes a difference!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,I have tried wet hands and it seems to be a slight help,the thing is that some sections seem straight when stretched and other sections seem to coil Reelmaker.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I had some problems with maxima this year, it was "delaminating" for want of a better word.....quite strange how it was coming apart in several stands....and it was fresh and had only been spooled up on the pin a day or so before use......????
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Oh please don't say there's a quality control issue with Maxima, It took me ages to find a line I get on with and I use it for everything !

Have to say I haven't had a problem yet but I bet that's put the curse on it now ! :(
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I have wondered if this is the case, I also had some relatively new 8lb snapping like cotton up to 20 yards back during the summer, again this hadn't been on the pin long, maybe a month.....fortunately I always carry a spare spool of line in the Landy cubby box and didn't lose any fish on the faulty line. My confidence was knocked by these two problems and I'm now back to using drenan supplex...although there are times when I'd prefer to be using maxima.....probably because it was so good for many years and was always a known reliable line....
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

I feel the onset of paranoia !
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”