Maxima main line

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Maxima main line

Post by Nobby »

There's nowt like a thread on fishing line to get folk posting ;-)

I suppose there must be a tackle shop that doesn't stock Maxima Chameleon......but I have yet to find it!

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Greased Weasel and amnesia for my sea fishing traces..cos I have loads. I like Maxima, just like I loved my blue Sylcast. I have just thrown caution to the wind and spooled up a reel with Drennan Supplex. As you advance in age old habits die hard, like my loving for Pie, mash and liquor and real Ale in a straight glass for me.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Hello Phil,
We will have to agree to disagree....
I have used Berkley line in the past. Can't remember which one, it was so bad I erased it from my memory. It was supposed to be good because it was low diameter for its strength. But it was light in weight, and blew and flapped about uncontrollably in the lightest winds. In coils. This made it a pain to fish with. To make things worse it didn't knot very well. And it was WHITE!!!

You say maxima is reliable because it is thick.. Yes, it is "thick" in that it breaks quite a bit above its stated breaking strain. But it is reliable because it is reliable. It has no bad habits, making it very easy to fish with. And it has a long life. (A bit like me really...)

Alan

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

And I like lager :Scared:[/quote]

Crikey Dave...I thought you were a man of impeccable taste........ :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Ryeman wrote:Hello Phil,
We will have to agree to disagree....
Alan
Hi Alan,

I don't know where you think we are disagreeing. I've used Berkley Big Game from 15lb upwards you seem to be referring to much lighter line. What breaking strain was the line you used. Was it actually "Big Game"? The stuff I use is either green or clear not white. I did state that different lines are better in different ranges of b.s.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the standard Maxima is thick for it's stated breaking strain but I also stated that I would like to see some test results - indicating that it may well be stronger than stated.

I like the Clarke/Silstar Match Team line (at the moment) but I don't like it below 3.3lb b.s. and I've not enough experience with the 10.1 b.s. line. I've yet to find a fine diameter 1.5lb b.s. line that I like. All the ones I've used curl and tangle.

I am certain that for most species freshwater fish which have seen some angling pressure that finer lines produce more bites so the b.s. compared to diameter is top priority for me. However what others use is up to them.

Phil

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Nobby wrote:I suppose there must be a tackle shop that doesn't stock Maxima Chameleon......but I have yet to find it!
Most shops can't afford not to keep it Nobby. There were always ridiculously cheap deals on it for the shops during the 25 years I sold it so it became one of the few items you made a decent margin on.

I used to use it in the early 80's but moved onto other lines. I use the 25 lb for some of my rig tying as it is nice to work with bedding down nicely on the knots without the crinkle that is often common on lines in these breaking strains. It doesn't stand up to much though if it hits abrasive surfaces, thus me stopping using it as a main line many years ago.

To be fair I was generally using 8, 10 and 12 lb though, rather than the lower strains.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Hello Phil,
I meant that we didn't agree about Maxima. Apologies for the confusion.
I regularly check the actual breaking strain of my line and find that Maxima nearly always breaks above its stated rating. Even old and relatively abused Maxima seems to keep its strength; another example of its reliability.
For this reason I long ago got used to the idea that, if a fishing situation calls for 5 lb line, I use 4lb Maxima, which actually needs a pull on my spring-balance of more than 5 lb to break it. I usually make a loop to go over the balance, with a 4 turn water knot, so my test is actually testing the knotted strength of the line.

Alan

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Ryeman wrote:I use 4lb Maxima, which actually needs a pull on my spring-balance of more than 5 lb to break it. I usually make a loop to go over the balance, with a 4 turn water knot, so my test is actually testing the knotted strength of the line.

Alan
Best way to destroy your scales that one.

Far better if for instance checking 5 lb line then get a bucket and add whatever is required to make it weigh 5 lb. Then tie a hook on your line and pick the bucket up with the hook in the handle. If it picks it up, add more weight and repeat until it breaks. When it breaks, simply weigh the weight it broke at and then repeat 2 more times and take the average as a rough breaking strain.

If you are using small hooks tie a loop of heavier nylon to the bucket handle and hook the hook through the loop.

The amount of scales we used to get returned after customers had tried to test their line on them was unbelievable. Avon dial scales used to end up with twisted pointers.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Good thread, have been following with interest.

I am another fan of good old Maxima. Have used most lines over the years including Sylcast, usually in 11 lb bs for my early carp fishing, gardner GR 60 in later years, both very reliable. Bayer Perlon in the lighter bs's for float fishing and Berkely big Game for sea fishing, both good lines. Tried braid a few times and I can see the advantages in certain situations, but it's not for me.

But... and it's a big but... if I had to use just one line for all my fishing, It would have to be Maxima...

Why?... because I have complete faith in Maxima, it's never, ever let me down.

Ryeman
Roach

Post by Ryeman »

Shaun, I've been testing my line for over 45 years with the same Salter's Pocket Balance that I was given in the 1960s, and it hasn't broken yet. Weighed a few good fish with it too, over the years.
Just curious, why does testing line do more damage than weighing a bucket of water?

Alan

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”