How to clean the Kelly Kettle

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Trilob
Chub

How to clean the Kelly Kettle

Post by Trilob »

I can imagine dirt and limescale collecting on the inside of the kettle. Anybody knows of a good way to clean it?

Dollar58
Dace

Re: How to clean the Kelly Kettle

Post by Dollar58 »

You can purchase kettle de scalers in the supermarket, just put solution or crystals in kettle and bring to the boil, should do the job.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Not sure about using de-scaler, I use a Ghillie kettle and seam to remember the instructions warning against it? :Hat:

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Paul is dead right there, the de-scaler has chance to eat through the seal at the base and resealing these things can be a nightmare.

I would leave it alone, boiling water will kill most things so I don't think you will come to any harm using it as it is. :Thumb:

Wal.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Mine is used a lot, has been for years, I don't clean it and I still wake up every morning.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Mine is used a lot, has been for years, I don't clean it and I still wake up every morning. There will be some quick brews this weekend with these big winds :Ok:

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

Shaun Harrison wrote:Mine is used a lot, has been for years, I don't clean it and I still wake up every morning.
That sounds horrible. I like to sleep in... :Hahaha:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Mrs H swears by boiling up vinegar in fact she's always saying bloody kettle needs descaling again!
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Harry H wrote:Mrs H swears by boiling up vinegar in fact she's always saying bloody kettle needs descaling again!
Again I would urge caution, personally I've never touched the inside of mine. As Shaun and Wal have said you won't come to any harm, if your really worried then just pop in a water sterilising tablet before your next brew.
The only thing I've ever done to mine is to scrub the base of the chimney as the build up of carbon made fitting the base inside tight :Hat:

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Clean it....? I still think I've already put the tea inside when I pour the brown water out from it
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”